Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Ubuntu going in the wrong direction?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    5,497
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Linux going IN THE WRONG DIRECTION?

    Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    ...
    The best way to nourish something in the software world is using and contributing to it.
    The best way to kill something in the software world is to simply ignore and stay away from it.
    ...
    Also applies to feeding trolls or starving them

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    India
    Beans
    7,316
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu going in the wrong direction?

    Yup, true 100%.

    But the poster's posting history made me believe it was a genuine post.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    5,497
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu going in the wrong direction?

    Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Yup, true 100%.

    But the poster's posting history made me believe it was a genuine post.
    You responded to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...#post12873562; the thread was started by someone else and then bobhurt jumped in

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Beans
    1

    Re: Ubuntu going in the wrong direction?

    You are right man. I used to like Ubuntu... But now is getting worse day by day.
    Someone mentioned that you can use the old interface instead of Unity but you get o bunch of errors if you do install gnome.
    The other day i updated to the latest version and the starting up screen never dissapeared and keept loading and i had to reinstall it which it was frustrating becouse i had a lot of work to do.
    I believe Ubuntu in not reliable anymore and i am going to look for another linux distribution.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    1,941

    Re: Ubuntu going in the wrong direction?

    Quote Originally Posted by alex124 View Post
    You are right man. I used to like Ubuntu... But now is getting worse day by day.
    Someone mentioned that you can use the old interface instead of Unity but you get o bunch of errors if you do install gnome.
    The other day i updated to the latest version and the starting up screen never dissapeared and keept loading and i had to reinstall it which it was frustrating becouse i had a lot of work to do.
    I believe Ubuntu in not reliable anymore and i am going to look for another linux distribution.
    1) Yes, you can use old interface, I installed gnome-session-flashback just to check it out (I use Unity), it is just one sudo apt-get install, log out and log in. No error message. No drama. It works as it should (and then I removed it)

    You can also use lubuntu or xubuntu.

    2) If you mean you have "upgraded" to the latest version then your problem may be just because of a bad upgrade. I would say easily > half of the problems people report here have to do with bad/blotched upgrades. So Don't do upgrade, backup your data and do a clean install. It is a lot faster, cleaner and safer. Yes, it takes you a bit more attentions than just clicking a button and let the thing sit for n hours, but save you lots of problems down the road and the whole thing would take may be 40 minutes from installing to reinstalling all the software instead of n hours and then you are stuck with a broken system.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 16th, 2014 at 10:32 PM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, Fl
    Beans
    1,055
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Linux going IN THE WRONG DIRECTION?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Also applies to feeding trolls or starving them


    Am I a troll too? Good strategy though- label anyone with a dissenting view a troll to dismiss their argument by dismissing their person.

    So that it doesnt seem the choice of Unity is entirely subjective (well besides it sending off your data to Amazon by default), lets throw a fact into the mix. This fact is not only depressing, but its also ironic:

    http://askubuntu.com/questions/41492...-thinkpad-t530

    Define irony- design an OS meant to more easily mesh with a mobile product you are trying to establish, while simultaneously destroying battery life on the OS if used by laptop.

    So not only has Ubuntu become a choice of less options and commercialization, but it accomplishes less while consuming far more resources.

    **EDIT** Keep in mind: this guy was giving Ubuntu a very fair shot.
    Last edited by GSF1200S; March 16th, 2014 at 06:30 PM.
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

  7. #27

    Re: Ubuntu going in the wrong direction?

    I was just thinking about this thread yesterday.....

    In the last couple of weeks, I tried to make Windows 8 run in my Dell laptop. It absolutely refused to run unless I allowed the default privacy settings!! Of course, I refused....and have given up.

    I have 2 minor applications that i need to run in Windows. Other than these 2 minor applications, I have no need for Windows. Since both the needed apps need internet connectivity, there's simply no way I know of to put Windows 8 SAFELY on the internet. So, Windows forced me to make a choice....and I choose to give Bill Gate's the boot and just run Xubuntu.

    During my temporary experimentation with Windows 8, I tried several free firewalls and virus scanning apps. I read every single line of the terms in these programs and it was scary. And, 2 of the 3 firewall software programs mandated that some third party apps be downloaded and installed-they were toolbars in the browser. Based on the mandate that I had to allow unknown and non-open source software (active content), I decided I just didn't need Windows at all!

    So, I'm glad to be back to ubuntu and won't ever try to use Windows again-unless it becomes open source and I ain't holding my breath for that one!! The last time I ran Windows was in 2011, when I used XP. I expected improvements in Windows 8, but to me Windows 8 seems like an enormous step backwards. Maybe Windows 8 should be freeware and there should be a charge for the 'buntu's??

    Hopefully Canonical will stop adding commercialization to the 'buntu's in future releases.

    Art

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, Fl
    Beans
    1,055
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Ubuntu going in the wrong direction?

    Quote Originally Posted by goodbye-windows(tm) View Post
    I was just thinking about this thread yesterday.....

    In the last couple of weeks, I tried to make Windows 8 run in my Dell laptop. It absolutely refused to run unless I allowed the default privacy settings!! Of course, I refused....and have given up.

    I have 2 minor applications that i need to run in Windows. Other than these 2 minor applications, I have no need for Windows. Since both the needed apps need internet connectivity, there's simply no way I know of to put Windows 8 SAFELY on the internet. So, Windows forced me to make a choice....and I choose to give Bill Gate's the boot and just run Xubuntu.

    During my temporary experimentation with Windows 8, I tried several free firewalls and virus scanning apps. I read every single line of the terms in these programs and it was scary. And, 2 of the 3 firewall software programs mandated that some third party apps be downloaded and installed-they were toolbars in the browser. Based on the mandate that I had to allow unknown and non-open source software (active content), I decided I just didn't need Windows at all!

    So, I'm glad to be back to ubuntu and won't ever try to use Windows again-unless it becomes open source and I ain't holding my breath for that one!! The last time I ran Windows was in 2011, when I used XP. I expected improvements in Windows 8, but to me Windows 8 seems like an enormous step backwards. Maybe Windows 8 should be freeware and there should be a charge for the 'buntu's??

    Hopefully Canonical will stop adding commercialization to the 'buntu's in future releases.

    Art
    Yeah, I got sick of all the windows crap. Everything is CONSTANTLY after your wallet, and even once they get that they try to get MORE money by mining your data. I was pretty used to this before I started with Linux, but now I cannot live with it.

    I want to stress that business is a good thing; business has brought us the computers we use Linux on, has made contributions to the Linux kernel, its why we have cars, its why we have marketplace's to buy things- all of these things I celebrate. My biggest complaint is that in the last decade especially, corporations have become totally perverted by extracting every ounce of profit they can. They will do it at the expense of your sanity if it gets them a penny. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

    I think thats part of the reason Ive become interested in computers, as it wasnt really anything more than a curiousity when I started down the Linux path- I think its my escape. I get out and travel and do the things everyone else does, but when I come home and sit down at the computer, my Linux install is free of the constant resource-grabbing present everywhere else.

    Have fun with Xubuntu- great choice!
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •