Thread: how likely is linux to crash my computer?

Beans

how likely is linux to crash my computer?

I'm looking to install backtrack dual booted with my windows machine, but I remember once when I was installing linux (like, out of 6 times) it crashed my computer. I eventually fixed it, but the computer I'm looking to install backtrack on is a pretty nice computer and I do not want to break it. So how likely is dual booting to brick up my machine?

Beans

Re: how likely is linux to crash my computer?

Thread moved to the "Other OS/Distro Support" forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A Linux crash won't 'break' your computer anymore than a Windows crash.

Beyond that, unless it is a very unusual piece of hardware, Linux should run on it if Windows runs on it. Assuming no pilot error.

Beans

I've had windows crash a lot more than linux over the years. And yeah, it won't literally break your computer. If your computer is linux compatible, you should have no problems. Perhaps we could help by telling us what kind of computer it is, and the specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Your question is: can an installation cause problems on my (pretty nice) computer and the answer is Yes. It's entirely possible to take a wrong turn and that path will lead to problems. Another answer is: No, if you proceed cautiously. There are pitfalls in the previous classic installation, and in the newer UEFI way. Once installed, there is no way Linux will harm your computer (unless you tell it to do so), just like Windows will not break your computer unless you make a mistake or unless you get infected by some virus...

Beans

I remember the last computer i installed linux on I did everything completely correct. I followed the installer to install linux over windows, and at the end it prompted me to restart. I clicked restart, and when the computer turned back on nothing loaded, not even the bios. I was eventually able to fix it with help (from the ubuntu forums) quite simply. What is the worst thing that could happen from a mis-step on the installation (or bug) and is it fixable?