Thread: Samba File sharing problem

Beans

Samba File sharing problem

I need help regarding my samba server i created a folder [ACT] for our database for multi user and this is what i did
    1. sudo mkdir -p /home/server/ACT
    2. sudo chown nobody.nogroup /home/server/ACT
    3. then i edited the smb.conf

[ACT]
    comment = ACT Server
    path = /home/server/ACT
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    create mask = 0755

first its working even in multi user they can access the database without any problem then i decided to create a user accounts in samba
    smbpasswd -a user then suddenly when the workstation tried to access the database, the database didnt work i didnt know whats wrong with it, the reason why i created a user in samba because i need to create a
    another folder with validusers so that there will be a restriction in my another folder. By the way my database is designed for
    multi users. I also tried to restart the smb service. I hope somebody could help me thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Samba File sharing problem

Post the output of these commands
    Code:
    cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

sudo pdbedit -L
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

have you check the permissions and ownership of the files?

ls -l should tell you
    I don' really like coffee. I guess I'll give my Ubuntu beans to my wife.

Luke

Beans

@bab1, I know we have a non-spoken gentleman's agreement to stay out of each others way but I think the OP's set up is coming from this HowTo: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...ileserver.html

Aside from a number of factual mistakes that have no real consequence it will in fact work as advertised - until you create a user with a samba password and require it's use somewhere.

It's a guest accessible writeable share and the ownership of the shared folder has been set to nobody:nogroup with no change to permissions. Depending on the client and how or when this share or other shares are accessed that client user may no longer be "nobody" since he is now "somebody".

My recommendation to other victims ... er ah .. users that want to have that particular kind of share in addition to others requiring credentials has been to add "force user = nobody" to the share definition.

You and I often agree on the cause but disagree on the solution so I'll crawl back into the darkness again but I think that HowTo should either add a caveat or be taken down.
    Last edited by Morbius1; December 5th, 2013 at 09:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    @bab1, I know we have a non-spoken gentleman's agreement to stay out of each others way but I think the OP's set up is coming from this HowTo: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...ileserver.html

Aside from a number of factual mistakes that have no real consequence it will in fact work as advertised - until you create a user with a samba password and require it's use somewhere.

It's a guest accessible writeable share and the ownership of the shared folder has been set to nobody:nogroup with no change to permissions. Depending on the client and how or when this share or other shares are accessed that client user may no longer be "nobody" since he is now "somebody".

My recommendation to other victims ... er ah .. users that want to have that particular kind of share in addition to others requiring credentials has been to add "force user = nobody" to the share definition.

You and I often agree on the cause but disagree on the solution so I'll crawl back into the darkness again but I think that HowTo should either add a caveat or be taken down.
    + 1 to all you say. Considerate replies like yours are always welcome!
    -BAB1

Beans

this is how mine worked.

comment = Fileserver
    path= /home/file/hdd
    browsable = yes
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0755
    directory mask = 0755

this worked fine for me
    I logged right into the network and was able to browse the network and able to pull from it and put things into it.

hope this works out for you.

Cid420

Beans

Your share definition is a non sequitur as it solves another problem under a different set of circumstances not this one.

The requirements of the original poster is a share that allows everyone access without passing credentials and with the ability to modify all it's contents. He created the folder and set ownership to nobody:nogroup. This is the share he created:
    [ACT]
    comment = ACT Server
    path = /home/server/ACT
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    create mask = 0755
    This will work ( and if you read the original post it did in fact work just fine ) as long as he never ever adds a samba user ( or at least one that matches a Windows users user name ) or adds another share definition that requires authentication to access ( which he did ). Once he did that the remote user is no longer "nobody" ( which anonymous users default to ) and although Samba allowed that user in they will not be able to write because the Linux permissions won't allow it - only the user "nobody" can write.

He can keep exactly what he has in place - and the HowTo I believe he is following can be corrected - by adding one more line to his share definition:
    [ACT]
    comment = ACT Server
    path = /home/server/ACT
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    force user = nobody
    create mask = 0755
    Last edited by Morbius1; December 6th, 2013 at 09:43 PM.