Thread: Cannot boot after updating with file manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Cannot boot after updating with file manager

I have Ubuntu 12.04 loaded on a desktop AMD64. After updating with file manager I cannot boot anymore. When I insert the 12.04 disk this is what I get.
    Bad Bios checksum
    Starting Bios recovery
    Checking for CD Rom
    CD Rom found
    Reading file P5RP.ROM
    File P5RP"rom NOR FOUN

It keeps going into this loop and I cannot enter into the BIOS.

Without the CD in:
    Checking for CD-Rom
    CD_Rom not found
    Checking for USB devide
    USB device not found
    Continually in a loop also.

I would reinstall Ubuntu 12.04 if only I could start anew from the CD, bnut I cannot enter the BIOS.

How can I get out of these loops and enter BIOS?
    HELP HELP HELP PLEASE!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot boot after updating with file manager

More info about your computer will be helpful, like RAM, Graphics etc, model and make?
    You don't need a CD/USB to 'enter' BIOS. You need to press/de-press key, like F2 or F10 or ESC. Find out what key works for your BIOS.

Reburn the ubuntu.iso to a new DVD/USB again.... and try again.
    Also confirm with your MoBo manufacturer's website to see if you have the latest BIOS. You can choose to either 're-flash' the same BIOS version you have or upgrade it to the latest.
    (However, before you upgrade your BIOS I suggest that you try the other options I pointed to, like entering BIOS with right key and redownload and reburn the ubuntu.iso to a new DVD).
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    More info about your computer will be helpful, like RAM, Graphics etc, model and make?
    You don't need a CD/USB to 'enter' BIOS. You need to press/de-press key, like F2 or F10 or ESC. Find out what key works for your BIOS.

Reburn the ubuntu.iso to a new DVD/USB again.... and try again.
    Also confirm with your MoBo manufacturer's website to see if you have the latest BIOS. You can choose to either 're-flash' the same BIOS version you have or upgrade it to the latest.
    (However, before you upgrade your BIOS I suggest that you try the other options I pointed to, like entering BIOS with right key and redownload and reburn the ubuntu.iso to a new DVD).
    Thanks for your reply. The computer is equipped with an ASUS P5Q Premium motherboard, 4XOCZ PC2 8500 2GB RAM, 2X 500GB hard drives, XFX GF 7300GT grafics board.
    Usualy the F2 key should enter into the BIOS but now it has no effect. What if I diconnect the hard drive with the OS and try loading the OS on the other hard drive?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Look up updating BIOS (or possibly clearing CMOS) for your motherboard; since BIOS loads before any OS or hard disk changing them won't help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Look up updating BIOS (or possibly clearing CMOS) for your motherboard; since BIOS loads before any OS or hard disk changing them won't help.
    Thanks for your reply. I used the P5Q Premium Intel P45 Chipset Suppoort DVD and was able to read file P5QP.ROM this time and the BIOS was reset apparently. Then it asked to restart the computer, which I did. I got the same result as before, file P5QP not found. So I tried the support disk again with the same result. After restarting the computer now I don't have anything comming to the monitor. Looks like the BIOS is completed corrupted. I really don't know what to do next.

Beans

Sounds like your motherboard died.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I really don't know what to do next.
    I'd contact ASUS support.