Thread: unity launcher for mono program on a removable drive gets deleted

Beans

Arrow unity launcher for mono program on a removable drive gets deleted

Hi all,

I have a program that runs under mono. It doesn't require installation, and I intend to run it from a USB flash drive formatted as FAT16 or FAT32. There's no simple way to launch the program: I have to fire up either Nautilus or a terminal, navigate to the subfolder on the flash drive, and then either double-click on the .exe or type "mono ./programname.exe". If I fire it up from Nautilus a mono terminal opens along with the program. This is clumsy and annoying, so yesterday I created a launcher for the program and dragged it to the Unity toolbar. I clicked the launcher, and the program launched without the annoying terminal window this time, great! I shut down the program, turned off the computer, pocketed the USB flash drive, and went to bed.

This morning I fired up the computer and plugged in the USB flash drive, and went to launch the program---but my unity launcher is gone. There must be some process that polices launchers and deletes any that refer to removable media that isn't present. Ugh.

So what can I do? Can I configure the system to stop policing my unity launchers? Can I write a script to reinstall the launcher when the correct USB flash drive is mounted? I can't guarantee that the USB flash drive will be present at startup.

- Rob

My background: I've only been running Linux and Ubuntu for a couple years, but I've been around computers for a long time. I spent four years as a software engineer on various platforms. I spent some time in the early nineties on Unix workstations, so I'm comfortable on the command line. I'm relearning shell scripting as I go.

Beans

Re: unity launcher for mono program on a removable drive gets deleted

Maybe have the Exec= line in the .desktop point to a script on your local drive which
    then runs the application.

eg script
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

cd /path/to/usbDrive
    <run command>

Beans

Re: unity launcher for mono program on a removable drive gets deleted

That's a sensible work-around, thanks!

- Rob