Thread: Automounting Samba Share in /etc/fstab

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Automounting Samba Share in /etc/fstab

I've done this is the past, but on a new server install, I for the life of me, can not figure out why it's not working this time around.

The Samba share I have DOES allow guest access, and that's how I access it, in fact.

This is the entry I have in /etc/fstab:
    Code:
    //SERVER/SHARE /media/SHARE cifs guest,_netdev 0 0
    I do have cifs-utils installed, but the error I'm receiving is "mount error(13): Permission denied". I've double checked everything a 100 times, but just can't figure out what's going on.

Thanks in advance!
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Email/XMMP - noahduffy@fastmail.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Automounting Samba Share in /etc/fstab

Quote Originally Posted by Noah0504 View Post
    I've done this is the past, but on a new server install, I for the life of me, can not figure out why it's not working this time around.

The Samba share I have DOES allow guest access, and that's how I access it, in fact.

This is the entry I have in /etc/fstab:
    Code:
    //SERVER/SHARE /media/SHARE cifs guest,_netdev 0 0
    I do have cifs-utils installed, but the error I'm receiving is "mount error(13): Permission denied". I've double checked everything a 100 times, but just can't figure out what's going on.

Thanks in advance!
    Post the output of these commands
    Code:
    testparm  --section-name <share_name>

ls -l /mnt

ls -l /mnt/SHARE
    ...where <share_name> is the name of the share you are trying to mount.

These will show the access and authorization of the share and its underlying file system. The term guest in the above fstab file only suppresses the request for a login and password. It does not negate the share or file system security.
    Last edited by bab1; December 4th, 2013 at 03:48 AM.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Automounting Samba Share in /etc/fstab

I took a break from this problem because of a busy schedule, but finally revisited it. This time I was trying to get it to work on a Raspberry Pi running Rasbian. Anyway, I had the same problem as before, so I figure it must be something with my NAS. I had this working with the same hardware earlier in the year, but something changed... maybe the version of CIFS on the computers, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I was able to finally get it to work by adding the following:
    Code:
    sec=ntlmv2
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Email/XMMP - noahduffy@fastmail.net