Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping two installs of Ubuntu in Sync?

Beans

Keeping two installs of Ubuntu in Sync?

I would like to keep my desktop and laptop install in sync as much as possible.
    I saw that the app center can keep the installed apps in sync.
    But what about everything else? Ideally I would like to setup the desktop, clone the install on the laptop and then whatever I change on each to sync to the anoher, that would be not only apps and files but settings and so on.

Is it possible and is it a good idea actually? Potential problems?
    How much of my changes actually are saved outside of my home folder?
    what if I export a backup on the desktop and import it on the laptop, would that be a good idea?

Many questions I know, but i'm totally new.

Beans

Re: Keeping to installs of Ubuntu in Sync?

the title should be "Keeping two installs..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Keeping two installs of Ubuntu in Sync?

Moved to general help forum.

It's the oneconf service that does syncing but I've not used it.

Title fixed too.

Beans

yeah that seems to be what i need, lets see if someone has used it and can share his experience

Beans

If you just want to keep your data uniform between two machines, there are many services that do syncing:
    Ubuntu One and Google Drive are two common ways.

If you want to roll-your-own script, there is good old rsync and ssh: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...oth-directions
    Last edited by ian-weisser; December 7th, 2013 at 04:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If it concerns two installations of an identical Ubuntu installation, mirrorring your entire home directory between the two systems should be perfectly safe. I am not sure how you could automatically keep the installed software in sync, but this is something that does not change quickly anyway. If you installed software on one machine, and notice it is not yet there on the ohter machine, you can just install it: the settings will already be there from the other machine.

Beans

ok OneConf (which seems to just be setting in the ubuntu software centre?) seems to take care of syncing the installed apps.
    So if I just sync the home folders as well i should have identical installs right?

is there anything else outside of the home dir that changes? (and that the software centre sync won't take care of?)

Also what if i export the backup from the first computer to ubuntu one and the import it to the second one? Would that mess anything?

Beans

Any manual changes to /etc won't be synchronized. Like custom Upstart jobs or network settings or cron jobs or udev rules.
    Any changes to /var (logs, caches, etc) won't be similar. And generally shouldn't be similar.
    Do you want the machine names to be identical?
    If you clone udev rules for specific hardware across two installs, you get a bit of a mess.

So it depends what you want to sync, and what you want to backup/restore.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If the OP uses Oneconf, I think he will still need to run updates from the second computer, right? Like for kernel updates?

-NTL2009

Beans

well basically i will need synced the apps, their settings and data (I suppose all of those are in the home folder?) and if possible the customization of ubuntu, like themes, tweaks and stuff like that but that's not critical.
    for the first two i suppose the setting in the app center and syncing the home folder would be enough, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast