Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible movement on VIA P4M800 graphics bug

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Possible movement on VIA P4M800 graphics bug

I have the same chipset here, but I added a used Nvidia 6200 graphics card a few years back. I installed Trusty Lubuntu on the system a couple of weeks back, and it now runs way better than it ever did running XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I have the same chipset here, but I added a used Nvidia 6200 graphics card a few years back. I installed Trusty Lubuntu on the system a couple of weeks back, and it now runs way better than it ever did running XP.
    Thanks cariboo907.

@kansasnoob

Ok!! It worked. I removed gdm and now lightdm is passing me to lubuntu-desktop on this VIA chipset graphics onboard chip.

Code:
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Graphics Ltd. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]
    ventrical@ventrical-P4M266A-8237:~$
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a similar chipset that was misbehaving earlier. It seems to be different enough to be working with the latest update.

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC] (rev 01)
    Previously I was using the vesa workaround. Removed everything vesa (I thought) and found that the monitor wasn't working AT ALL after login. The culprit was displays.xml in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml, which had a refresh rate of 0, for some reason. Once that file was gone, all was OK.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I have a similar chipset that was misbehaving earlier. It seems to be different enough to be working with the latest update.

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC] (rev 01)
    Previously I was using the vesa workaround. Removed everything vesa (I thought) and found that the monitor wasn't working AT ALL after login. The culprit was displays.xml in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml, which had a refresh rate of 0, for some reason. Once that file was gone, all was OK.
    Had you joined that bug report as "effects me too"?

I guess it doesn't matter at this point but I'd personally appreciate a comment at that bug report stating that the latest openchrome driver is known to work with P4M900

That should narrow things down for the dev involved.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@kansasnoob:

Done. (I meant to do it yesterday but somehow got sidetracked.)

I was already subscribed to the report as "affects me too".
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    @kansasnoob:

Done. (I meant to do it yesterday but somehow got sidetracked.)

I was already subscribed to the report as "affects me too".
    Many, many thanks

I'm going to retest with the latest Lubuntu either tonight or tomorrow because I noticed the addition of some odd "gnome" packages recently, so while I have a new image it's always worth spending a few extra minutes to check things out.

Beans

Seems to be fixed based on testing both Xubuntu and Edubuntu Alpha 1

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1205643

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12