Thread: I no longer have permission to access my HDD

Beans

I no longer have permission to access my HDD

A few weeks ago I switched to Ubuntu 13.10, I backed up all of my data from my windows 7 x32 on a second 2.5" hdd, transferred it all back on after i switched and removed the drive. fast forward to now, it wasn't for me and went back to windows. well now my back up drive only registers 6 gigs (funny because it's a 120 gig drive). so i booted from a 13.10 disk and there was my drive even labeled "back up". but now i'm not aloud to access my years worth of work, pictures, and music. would someone please tell me why?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I no longer have permission to access my HDD

Permissions problems with saved files are usually seen with Linux filesystems, but from what you say it sounds as though your 2.5" drive might be formatted with a Windows filesystem. Unless by "backed up all of my data from my windows 7 x32 on a second 2.5" hdd, transferred it all back on after i switched and removed the drive" you were doing all this from Ubuntu in which case I think I can see what the problem is. But let's get some more information before doing any more guesswork.

Boot up with the Ubuntu 13.10 disk to the live desktop, plug the 2.5" drive in, wait until the external drive is automounted and a file manager window opens and then post the output of these two terminal commands:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    mount
    Your can copy and paste the terminal output by highlighting it with the mouse, right-clicking and selecting copy.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

maybe i did play around with format now that i think about it. i'll do that and get back to you

Beans

the part im trying to access is a linux format.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Jason.e.kemp View Post
    the part im trying to access is a linux format.
    Please post the output I requested in post #2.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.