Thread: ubuntu server stopped working

Beans

Angry ubuntu server stopped working

When i got home today and turned on my server, it didn't turn up on the network so i plugged in a keyboard and monitor and found the following error msg "this is a freenas data disk and cannot boot system. system halted".

I restarted it a few time and still kept getting the error msg so i turned it off and went to bed. when i got up i turned it back on and got this error msg "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

Dose anyone know whats going on with it and how to fix it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ubuntu server stopped working

I could be way off base, but it sounds like the hard drive is failing. I had one that would work "most of the time" - occasionally corrupting sectors. System would usually recover.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If you are running freenas instead of Ubuntu, then typically, you have a separate boot disk or partition or USB stick to boot from. Data is then stored on a separate disk or partition. So is this a freenas system or an Ubuntu system? How long has the server been running before it failed?
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

the server is running Ubuntu Server 12.04.3 LTS from a thumb drive and the data is stored on internal HDD in a ZFS pool. I set it up about 6 months ago but it spends a lot of time offline as i shut it down when i go away for work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Normal server installations will kill a thumb drive unless you have taken several precautions. Freenas can boot from a thumb drive, but it runs completely in RAM. Is your installation a LiveDVD session or did you simply install the server to the thumb drive with the log files saved to the thumb drive as well?
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.