Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slow download speed on Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Slow download speed on Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    You mention Ubuntu and Windows machines suggesting they are different machines. Am I correct?
    Wow! I don't know when and why I made the assumption that it is the same machine dual booting Windows and Ubuntu.

I re-read the first post and they are clearly two different machines. That's a really strong point, and coffeecat has already given the best suggestion to test external factors.

PS:
    @dani.rab
    If the machine is Ubuntu only, you'll have to press 'Shift' or 'Esc' key during bootup to get the grub boot menu.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

I connected my windows laptop to the same Ethernet cable and the speeds I got there were normal (35-40 Mbps),
    but with the same cable the ubuntu machine was slow as usual.

I tried also a few older kernels but that also didn't fix the issue.

I also tried starting the same problematic machine with a Knoppix live CD and the speeds were also slow.
    should I've tried a different linux distribution?

maybe it's just a hardware failure (I guess that only if I install windows on the same machine i'll know if it's a hardware or software failure).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by dani.rab View Post
    maybe it's just a hardware failure (I guess that only if I install windows on the same machine i'll know if it's a hardware or software failure).
    It would be interesting to know what Windows does on that machine. Somewhat tedious having to do a full install just to test that though.

I was going to suggest running a live Ubuntu session on the Windows machine, although I am not sure what that would achieve, except for proving or otherwise that Ubuntu can achieve the same download speeds as Windows on your network.

The Knoppix kernel will be compiled differently from the Ubuntu one, but will have essentially the same forcedeth driver. However, it would probably be better to test with the same Ubuntu version of the live CD/USB - 12.10 - as you are running from your Ubuntu machine. It will be the original version of the kernel, of course.

In case you do not have the 12.10 ISO and can't find the download link, here it is:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.10/

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You may try HBCD (Hiren's Boot CD) as a "Live Windows XP" CD and see if it can recognize your Ethernet chip. It contains a PE (PreInstalled Environment) of Windows XP which provides a very limited functionality of Windows XP that runs in Live mode. The networking has to be initialized manually, for which there is a wizard icon on its desktop.

If it has driver for your card, it will be same or almost same as the one in original Windows XP, giving you the same performance. If not, external drivers can be easily added to it (of course windows XP compatible only).
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

I was frustrated and didn't see the reply on the "live windows xp" cd and went ahead and installed windows 7 on the machine,
    after the installation the wireless speeds I got where the same as on Ubuntu but I couldn't get the wired connection to work (no internet access, seemed like I couldn't get a valid IP from DHCP), searched some more online and found this interesting post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1661489 (I also have a Realtek ethernet chip) where one of the posts said

However, after reading dozens of forum articles, it seemed like the problem is that the RealTek driver doesn't reset the NIC internal configuration upon reboot. I disconnected the charger from my laptop, popped out the battery, pressed the on button a few times (to drain residual charge in capacitors), put it back together, rebooted, and it worked fine.

Even on a desktop, where the NIC is powered when the machine is off (necessary for wake-on-lan functionality), you can reboot until the cows come home, and the NIC internal settings may not be reset. You have to disconnect the power cable to de-power the NIC. My problem surfaced while running Windows 7, but once it happened, rebooting numerous times in Windows 7 or Ubuntu 10.04 did not resolve the problem. Downgrading to r8168, as described in this article did not resolve the problem.

So, my suggestion is to try the simple workaround of disconnecting power from the machine before subjecting yourself to the trauma of all the procedures listed above.
    I don't know why I didn't think of it but like he said I shutdown my computer and disconnect the power cable and suddenly next restart the ethernet started working again and I got the speeds I expected, hooray .

thanks everyone for your suggestions and help finally this issue is solved (not on Ubuntu but at least it's working).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123