Thread: switch over to 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

switch over to 64 bit

I am currently running 32 bit 13.10, would it be possible to upgrade to the 64 bit version when version 14.04 comes out, and how would I do this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: switch over to 64 bit

I think you need to do a complete clean install to change from 32 to 64 bit architecture.
    If you can back it up and restore it afterwards, all your home directory (data and settings) should be valid on both architectures.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: switch over to 64 bit

You'll need the Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop CD. Boot up from the CD as though you were going to do a fresh install, and run the installer.

When it asks you what disk you want to erase, select the Upgrade option instead. It will do a clean install of the new 14.04, but will not delete your home directory, and it will install the same repository software that you had before, albeit a newer version.

If you don't get the Upgrade option, click on Something Else, click on your current / partition and click Edit. Set the partition to have the mountpoint "/". Click your current /home partition (if you have one) and set its mountpoint to /home. DO NOT CLICK THE "FORMAT" CHECKBOX. Proceed with the installation and it'll do the same kind of upgrade.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.