Thread: PanP4 and Suspend/Resume

Beans

PanP4 and Suspend/Resume

Hello,

I have an old Pangolin, a PanP4 that I bought almost exactly 5 years ago. Still works fine, but it's been several years since I've upgraded the OS, and it's past time. I'm deciding between Ubuntu (where I'd use the Cinnamon desktop) and Mint.

So a couple questions:

1. Looking at the PanP4/PanP5 page, I see that the list of System76 drivers stops at 12.10. Is that because the Knowledge76 page hasn't been updated or is it because the driver hasn't been updated? If the latter, is that because it isn't necessary or because you aren't supporting this computer any more? The one constant feature of the driver up to that point is restore. Does restore (and suspend/hibernate) work ok with recent versions of Ubuntu?

2. I know the answer to this question already ("we only support Ubuntu") but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Any idea of any differences with how this machine will work with Mint 16 vs. Ubuntu 13.10?

Thanks
    Last edited by steven.tighe; December 1st, 2013 at 03:06 AM.

Beans

Re: PanP4 and Suspend/Resume

So I went ahead and installed Mint16 and as it happens, suspend/hibernate is not working. Or more specifically it works fine but the restore doesn't. It either just hangs at the intro screen, or it looks like it comes back but doesn't accept either mouse clicks or keyboard entries.

Beans

Re: PanP4 and Suspend/Resume

So is there anything that the S76 driver does on a PanP4 nowadays? As I said above I'm not successfully suspend/resuming on Mint. I could either switch to Ubuntu with Cinnamon or try something like the hacks outlined in this post, but I won't bother if the current driver isn't doing anything.

For the heck of it I d/l'd the current driver (within Mint) and ran it, and the result was "all drivers provided by Ubuntu." That could mean what it says, or maybe it's a distro compatibility issue.

So: is there any sort of fix for this issue with this distro and hardware, or no?

Thanks.