Thread: How to run Wireshark on desktop with tablet display manager (Ubuntu 12.04, x64)?

Beans

Question How to run Wireshark on desktop with tablet display manager (Ubuntu 12.04, x64)?

Hi All,

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 (x64). I installed Wireshark with apt-get.

When I go to Ubuntu Button -> Search "Wireshark" -> Wireshark, the wireshark program launches. Unfortunately there's no interfaces to sniff. That's because Wireshark needs to be run as root.

In the past, I would just go to the menu item and add 'gksudo' to the launch command. I can't figure out how to do it with Ubuntu's nifty tablet display manager (which I believe is called Unity, adds no value to a desktop computer, and slows down workflows because of all the extra taps/clicks required).

Additionally, when I find Wireshark under recently used applications, I cannot right click it to bring up properties. Right clicking just launches the application again.

How do I launch Wireshark as root using Ubuntu's nifty tablet display manager?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
    Last edited by noloader; November 30th, 2013 at 08:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to run Wireshark on desktop with tablet display manager (Ubuntu 12.04, x64)?

How about pressing Alt-F2 and typing gksudo wireshark into the popup box.

It sounds as though you don't like Unity. You may find it worthwhile to try Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Kubuntu. They are all quite different, to Unity and to each other.

Beans

Re: How to run Wireshark on desktop with tablet display manager (Ubuntu 12.04, x64)?

Thanks Cog.

> How about pressing Alt-F2 and typing gksudo wireshark into the popup box.
    Well, that's not really efficient. Ideally, I should be able to fix the problem once instead of working around it countless times.

> It sounds as though you don't like Unity.
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the tablet display managers on the desktop. I can't stand the latest from Ubuntu, Fedora or Windows. I think they were all smoking crack or on some other drug when they decided it was a good idea.

Worse, you can't remove Unity and install a normal desktop manager for the desktop computer (been there, done that, and broke everything).

> You may find it worthwhile to try Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Kubuntu.
    > They are all quite different, to Unity and to each other.
    In this case, I need to use the same platform as the person having the trouble.

Personally, I use Mint Linux. Its got a normal desktop manager and its in my backyard (University of Maryland).

Jeff
    Last edited by noloader; November 30th, 2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Added thak you (how rude!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

do this:
    in a terminal run,
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common

choose yes to allow non superusers to capture packets

Then in users and groups (or whatever the unity equivalent is) add yourself to the wireshark group.

Now you will be able to capture packets, i.e., the interfaces will show up in wireshark. It's basically the same procedure for most (all?) debian based distros regardless of the desktop.
    Last edited by pbrane; November 30th, 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Beans

> in a terminal run,
    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common
    Perfect, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks, pbrane. I know there was some command-line stuff to allow use of wireshark without sudo, but couldn't remember what it was.
    I don't understand why the wireshark group isn't created (without any users) as wireshark is installed. It seems an obvious thing to do, to me.