Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've made a really big mess, please help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I've made a really big mess, please help!

It's been awhile...
    Try sudo dhclient eth0
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Hi frida2, if you are still struggling with this problem, here are something that may help. You can (1) boot into Ubuntu normally, (2) login as a user and connect to internet, (3) logout and press Ctrl+Alt+F1, which should bring you to a console, (4) login and run the suggested commands, (5) logout the console and press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to unity.

Beans

Ha, actually it hasn't been a while, since I'm not familiar at all with computers - as the fact that I removed Python clearly shows I tried "sudo dhclient eth0", but I only got a message that said "File exists." Any other way to run dhclient from the root shell?

Beans

Have you gone through the 'Enable networking' boot menu? if so then iirc it sets up a default DHCP connection - I don't recall having to run dhclient manually - you can check the network status with

Code:
    ifconfig
    or more specifically (assuming 'eth0' is the name of the wired interface)
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    and check that the interface has a valid IPaddress. You can also try a ping test

Code:
    ping -c4 google.com
    If that doesn't time out then you should be good (both connectivity and DNS name resolution are up) in which case you can go ahead and run the apt-get commands

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Do you have a 13.04 install DVD/USB with you? If you don't have then perhaps you can download it from somewhere and make yourself a ubuntu DVD/USB.

Do you see a Boot - Menu? If you do then perhaps you can try Recovery Mode, it will be listed under 'Advanced Options' in the menu...
    After you've booted into 'Recovery Mode'... follow the instructions here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode
    This page shows a screen-shot of how 'Recovery mode' interface looks: http://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/20...recovery-mode/

From Root Shell run the following commands:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop --reinstall
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    If you don't have connection to the net then just run:
    Code:
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop --reinstall
    If for some reasong 'apt-get install ubuntu-desktop --reinstall' doesn't work then just use 'apt-get install ubuntu-desktop'

Let us know what happens...
    If you haven't cleaned up your 'apt' cache then there is a good probablity that you still have the package 'ubuntu-desktop' in your cache. You can just run 'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop' to install it without networking.
    Have you tried it?
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12