Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've made a really big mess, please help!

Beans

I've made a really big mess, please help!

Hi there,

I'm really, really new to Ubuntu and I don't know much about computers, so please be patient with me. If I need to provide any more information, please let me know and I'm happy to provide it! I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail.

I've been trying to install and use a DeDRM tool, but I've been having problems doing so. I was following some directions that said I needed a version of Python 2.7, but not anything Python 3.0 or later (because 3.0 versions are missing some necessary libraries?). I tried to install Python 2.7.5.6, but it didn't work. I thought it was probably because I had the later version of Python, so I went through terminal and removed Python 3.3, so I could install the earlier version. But now that I've uninstalled Python 3.3, a lot of things were removed with it, including terminal and the Ubuntu Software Center. I have no idea how to fix this problem now. I would just take my computer somewhere to have a professional do it, but I live abroad and don't speak the language here.

Please, please help me if possible. I would really appreciate any advice on this. If there's any more information I could provide, please let me know. Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: I've made a really big mess, please help!

can you get to the terminal by typing ctrl alt f1?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do you have a 13.04 install DVD/USB with you? If you don't have then perhaps you can download it from somewhere and make yourself a ubuntu DVD/USB.

Do you see a Boot - Menu? If you do then perhaps you can try Recovery Mode, it will be listed under 'Advanced Options' in the menu...
    After you've booted into 'Recovery Mode'... follow the instructions here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode
    This page shows a screen-shot of how 'Recovery mode' interface looks: http://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/20...recovery-mode/

From Root Shell run the following commands:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop --reinstall
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    If you don't have connection to the net then just run:
    Code:
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop --reinstall
    If for some reasong 'apt-get install ubuntu-desktop --reinstall' doesn't work then just use 'apt-get install ubuntu-desktop'

Let us know what happens...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

We cannot help on any issues with removing DRM as that is against the Code of Conduct that you agreed to to be part of forum.

But you never un-install the default version of python in Ubuntu. Essential parts of Ubuntu run on python. And new versions of Ubuntu are in the process of converting to python3 only, but still have a few bits that use python2, so now both versions are required.
    Above posts should help on getting python and other parts restored.

If recovery mode does not work, you will need live installer to chroot into your system to update it.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Given that support for 13.04 runs out in January, it might be worth thinking about installing 13.10, especially if 13.04 proves difficult to fix.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans

Hi there,

Thanks for the response! I went to the boot menu and found Root Shell. When I enter apt-get update, or any of the other commands, I get some messages that say "failed to fetch http:/tw.archive.ubuntu.com/...etc". Attached is a photo of the messages on the screen.

Is there anything else I can try? I'd take it to a shop and have a professional look at it, but I'm living abroad and I don't speak the language here.

I'm not sure that I can use an install CD for my computer. When I bought it, it had Windows 8 preinstalled, and it was a HUGE ordeal to uninstall that and put Unbutu on. I took it to a computer shop and had them do it. From what I've read, it's very difficult to use an Ubuntu install CD for computers preinstalled with Windows 8. Would that still apply in this case? I think the people at the shop completely uninstalled Windows, but I'm not entirely certain.

Beans

Hi there,

Thanks for the response! I went to the boot menu and found Root Shell. When I enter apt-get update, or any of the other commands, I get some messages that say "failed to fetch http:/tw.archive.ubuntu.com/...etc". Attached is a photo of the messages on the screen.

Is there anything else I can try? I'd take it to a shop and have a professional look at it, but I'm living abroad and I don't speak the language here.

I'm not sure that I can use an install CD for my computer. When I bought it, it had Windows 8 preinstalled, and it was a HUGE ordeal to uninstall that and put Unbutu on. I took it to a computer shop and had them do it. From what I've read, it's very difficult to use an Ubuntu install CD for computers preinstalled with Windows 8. Would that still apply in this case? I think the people at the shop completely uninstalled Windows, but I'm not entirely certain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Networking is not enabled by default in the recovery shell - if you have a wired LAN connection, it should be fairly easy to get going by exiting to the main grub menu and selecting the 'Enable networking' option first - once it's done, it should drop you back to the same menu where you can THEN select 'Drop to root shell' - after which try the apt-get commands again

The good (and somewhat surprising) news is that apt is functioning at all, since a lot of that depends on python as well - I was all set to tell you you'd need to download and reinstall the missing packages as .deb files using dpkg.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you are using a wired Ethernet connection, you'll need to run "dhclient" from the root shell first, to actually start the connection.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

What is the command line I should use for dhclient?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast