Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13.10 graphics on boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question 13.10 graphics on boot

Hey Ubuntu World,

Recently updated from 13.04 to 13.10 and since when I boot up I get nothing but a black screen with a curser on it. The curser floats around but I have no visual desktop just black. What can I do to reset all my graphics?

Please help!

Beans

Re: 13.10 graphics on boot

Your video card may need a proprietary driver to function correctly. Various options: remove video card and use built-in graphics, replace video card, or run minimal ubuntu. I used the last option. Search MinimalCD. Installation is non-graphic based. And you can install the proprietary driver afterward.

By the way, what graphic card do you have?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When you boot and get to the list of kernels, select the kernel you want to boot and hit 'e' to edit.

Look for the line that ends in 'quiet splash' or 'quiet' or 'splash';
    To the end of that line, after a space, type 'nomodset'.

Ctl+x to save and continue with boot as normal. Did that get you to a desktop?

@palmgrower: the first option is to try and fix the OPs original problem. They already have a working install and a functioning graphics card; the issue is that the upgrade has broken the graphics. Let's try and fix that before attempting any more radical solutions (like new cards or reinstallations).
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 30th, 2013 at 08:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your replies nomodset did not get me back. Still a black screen pop up that says error occurred and cancel out of that and just has black screen with X cursor that moves around fine.

Make: Acer
    Model: Aspire 5820TG
    Proc: i5460M
    Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 video card

I can CTRL+ALT+F2 do we need any specs and commands in there?

Thanks again for the assistance!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    When you boot and get to the list of kernels, select the kernel you want to boot and hit 'e' to edit.

Look for the line that ends in 'quiet splash' or 'quiet' or 'splash';
    To the end of that line, after a space, type 'nomodset'.

Ctl+x to save and continue with boot as normal. Did that get you to a desktop?

@palmgrower: the first option is to try and fix the OPs original problem. They already have a working install and a functioning graphics card; the issue is that the upgrade has broken the graphics. Let's try and fix that before attempting any more radical solutions (like new cards or reinstallations).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The black X cursor could be an indication that the loading process has dropped back to failsafeX mode. You could try at the Grub boot menu to select Advance Options for Ubuntu and then select Recovery mode. And at the recovery menu select resume. That may load to a desktop. It will also be a fallback video mode but one you can work with. In System Settings>Software and Updates>Additional drivers tab you can activate a video driver.

Something else. At that blackscreen can you right click the desktop? Do you get a menu? If so select Change Desktop Background and that should load System Settings. From there you can get to Additional Drivers with the information given.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 30th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Thanks again for the prompt reply, my appologies for not returning sooner.

I booted into recover via 3 different Kernals I have in the option list. Still the same result as before which I've never experienced I've always been able to failsafeX. No desktop, no right click, and no menu just black with a X cursor

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    The black X cursor could be an indication that the loading process has dropped back to failsafeX mode. You could try at the Grub boot menu to select Advance Options for Ubuntu and then select Recovery mode. And at the recovery menu select resume. That may load to a desktop. It will also be a fallback video mode but one you can work with. In System Settings>Software and Updates>Additional drivers tab you can activate a video driver.

Something else. At that blackscreen can you right click the desktop? Do you get a menu? If so select Change Desktop Background and that should load System Settings. From there you can get to Additional Drivers with the information given.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro

Bump

Beans
    Distro

If you can get to a terminal you can reset the graphics to the default opensource Radeon driver with the instructions here:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx

Beans
    Distro

Thanks pme 72 tried that didn't work I'm at a loss here I've never had this much trouble with Ubuntu before ((

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does recovery mode to the menu of choices, boot, repair terminal with Internet etc?

Did you try right click on blank screen? I had that once and got the change backgound system screen and was able to get into system menu and then choose to install video drivers with absolutely nothing else working on screen. Reboot then worked.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast