Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Gaming was meant to be free

Beans

Re: Gaming was meant to be free

I agree. However Frets on Fire is a godly game. Like, words cant describe how much fun I have playing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by azraelck View Post
    ... look at Baldur's Gate, a closed source game. It was rereleased for a while, but is now just another old title. It's fanbase has moved on, save a few diehards who stick with every game series. The only thing it has going is an attempted free, open source implementation of the Infinity Engine. And I lost track of that project years ago..
    That would be GemRB which is still going strong. In fact, BG is quite playable with GemRB - it's almost there. The website is kinda MIA right now but development has been continually steady despite the general lack of interest - mainly a marketing failure by the author but he's, well, busy developing!
    Wand good Free Software games?
    Free Gamer - Open source game resource
    FreeGameDev - Free Software games community

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Linux > Windows
    CS:S > Cube

While there are a few "Commercial grade" native Linux games, They mostly come in binary only form, I haven't really seen an open source Linux game that could call its self a rival of games like WoW, and CS:S. Even if there were a few, until there are many or until the gaming industry magically decides it can sell more copies with a GPL people will want more variety than a few titles and will thus turn to commercial games. not to mention the large user bases a lot of them have.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678