Thread: Any ideas for final year university project in the field of open source?

Beans

Post Any ideas for final year university project in the field of open source?

Hello,everyone .I am doing IT engineering .Currently i am in my third year. Its still 6months to go for my final year to start ,and i being a ubuntu user ,am inclined towards opensource development.
    In the final year we are supposed to make a project . Currently i possess the following skillset:
    Languages:
    php
    c++
    java(core & advanced)
    jsp
    shell scripting
    sql-mysql

familiar with Linux,how OS works which was all covered in academic syllabus.
    OS USED:
    SUNSOLARIS
    LINUX MINT
    UBUNTU 12.04(its in my laptop)

CENTOS 5
    RED HAT

The question i ask is:
    • Can any one give me any ideas about final year project in context of opensource?
    • something by which the whole ubuntu or the whole linux community will benefit?
    • something which is possible in a duration of 6-8 months of college?

please answer in depth coz i am not a beginner in linux.

Thank you in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Any ideas for final year university project in the field of open source?

Have you looked at any of the major opensource projects, such as GIMP, or Postgresql, for example? They are always looking for more advanced features to help them compete with commercial products.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quite a few opensource projects have a page of google summer of code ideas, some of those ideas did not end up being sponsored by google. They are a projects that ought to take a student a few months to do, so they might match what you need.

For example here is the future ideas page for GIMP http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Hacki...C/Future/Ideas and libreoffice https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/...ent/Gsoc/Ideas

If you see one you like the look of, be sure to check that it has not actually already been done. Then maybe check it past your supervisor. Then maybe send a message to the project mailing list, saying that you are interested in working on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

More importantly, what are your personal interests? If you have some level of interest in the project, then you will be motivated to get into it, and complete it.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.