Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: what happened to 13.04

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    313

    what happened to 13.04

    I see they are pushing 13.1 so what about 13.04? TIA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ozarks, Arkansas, USA
    Beans
    11,095
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: what happened to 13.04

    jtmedin: Hi !

    Version 13.04 is End Of Life January 2014 (like real soon now !).

    'nuff said
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

    Happy ubuntu'n !

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    218
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: what happened to 13.04

    Quote Originally Posted by jtmedin View Post
    I see they are pushing 13.1 so what about 13.04? TIA
    If I may ask why would you want to stay on 13.04? If your wanting to stay with one version of Ubuntu for long term then use a Long Term Release(LTS) then use Ubuntu 12.04, otherwise it is time to upgrade to 13.10.
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvald

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Funky Town, AUS
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    6,488
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: what happened to 13.04

    They always push the latest versions and relegate the last version to the releases.ubuntu.com area.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    3,034

    Re: what happened to 13.04

    Quote Originally Posted by grier-devon View Post
    If I may ask why would you want to stay on 13.04? If your wanting to stay with one version of Ubuntu for long term then use a Long Term Release(LTS) then use Ubuntu 12.04, otherwise it is time to upgrade to 13.10.
    Maybe because 13.04 is a big improvement over 12.04 and OP doesn't want to take the risk of upgrading too soon? I think it is drastic that you have to choose either an old LTS (the point releases are still old, and huge improvements like unity 7 are not backported) or upgrading every 6 -9 months. One year is probably reasonable for staying on the same release for those of us who don't want the troubles of frequent upgrades but also don't care for the ultra-conservative approach of the LTS.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 28th, 2013 at 09:14 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    /Europe/Netherlands
    Beans
    401
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: what happened to 13.04

    You can stay on 13.04 as long as you please only updates stop after january 2014 After that date you can still get packages from old-releases repositories (you have to manually change the sources list for that) but no new (security) updates. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

  8. #8

    Re: what happened to 13.04

    You can stay on 13.04 as long as you please only updates stop after january 2014
    That means if there are any flaws in the software, they will not get fixed.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

    My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Beans
    766
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: what happened to 13.04

    each non-lts version is now supported for 9 months, with lts versions being supported for 5 years now.... 12.04LTS, 13.04 non-lts, 13.10 non-lts, 14.04 will be lts

    which means as far as support length goes

    12.04 = until april 2017
    13.04 = Jan 2014
    13.10 = July 2014
    14.04 = april 2019

    Lts versions as stands are being released on a 2 yearly schedule

    more info can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...le_of_versions

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    3,034

    Re: what happened to 13.04

    Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    each non-lts version is now supported for 9 months, with lts versions being supported for 5 years now.... 12.04LTS, 13.04 non-lts, 13.10 non-lts, 14.04 will be lts

    which means as far as support length goes

    12.04 = until april 2017
    13.04 = Jan 2014
    13.10 = July 2014
    14.04 = april 2019

    Lts versions as stands are being released on a 2 yearly schedule

    more info can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...le_of_versions
    You forgot 12.10 until until April 2014. It is the last non lts release with a 18 month support cycle before they cut it in half. Not sure how many are still on 12.10 though.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 30th, 2013 at 04:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •