Thread: Audacity crashes

Beans

Audacity crashes

Hi everyone
    This is my first posting in this lovely forum! I hope the context of this post belongs here....
    I have been a "follower" of Linux for the last more than 15 years. I love to try out the most popular (and not-so-popular) distros just for fun.
    But the good news is that finally I have settled down to more serious use of Linux for my day to day use. And the flavor of choice is, you guessed right, Ubuntu.
    I have been trying Ubuntu for quite some time now, but through USB pen drive installations. But now I have a full installation in my net-book hard disk as a dual boot system with Windows-7, and the flavor is Ubuntu Studio, since I am a sound and audio addict, a photography and graphics fanatic!
    Ubuntu Studio has an amazing collection of multimedia applications; it almost seems the package was designed for me!
    So much for the praises. I have been trying Ubuntu Studio now for almost two months, and am quite satisfied with most of the apps except for Audacity, which unfortunately is one of my favorites for quick audio recordings.
    After starting and using the program for sometime, it randomly crashes. Most of the times, the menu bar at the top goes blank. Under such condition, the program has to be killed through the task manager.
    Is there a solution or workaround for this problem? Can anybody in this forum help me in this regard?
    I shall be trying out all the apps in this distribution of Ubuntu thoroughly, and keep posting here if I find any glitches.
    That's all for today
    Good Luck to all.

Beans

Re: Audacity is a pain in the ....!

TL;DR version:
    After starting and using the program for sometime, it randomly crashes. Most of the times, the menu bar at the top goes blank. Under such condition, the program has to be killed through the task manager. Is there a solution or workaround for this problem? Can anybody in this forum help me in this regard?
    I would try starting audacity in the terminal, and maybe even using gdb: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Backtrace

Beans

Have you visited the Audacity forum ?
    They are very linux friendly and helpful.
    First posters usually face some delays as they are checked through the spammers and bot filters.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chinmoy1955-gmail View Post

I shall be trying out all the apps in this distribution of Ubuntu thoroughly, and keep posting here if I find any glitches.
    If you do post here again, please provide your machine specs (graphics, RAM, CPU at least). That will surely add context to your "pain in the ....!" posts

Also, you may want to check out the first post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475

Beans

Oops....sorry for the most obvious mistake. Got so engrossed in writing for the first time in this forum!
    Anyway, my specs are as follows:
    A very modest Samsung netbook model N148Plus.
    CPU- Intel Atom N550, dual core at 1.5 GHz
    RAM- 2 GB DDR3
    HDD- 160 GB
    3 NTFS partitions, with windows 7 installed in the first primary partition.
    One 2 GB Linux swap partition and one 10 GB ext3 partition for Linux files.
    Linus was installed on the local HDD through live USB (Ubuntu Studio) pen drive, which was created with unetbootin.
    Hope that will help in the future.