Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Start up errors after installing 12.04.3 32 bit

Beans

Re: Start up errors after installing 12.04.3 32 bit

I'm not claiming to understand why there are *any* extra characters there though (mistranslated or otherwise)... fwiw the 'Temporary failure resolving' error often just means the network is down I think - I would try pinging gb.archive.ubuntu.com (by name, and then by IP if that doesn't work) if you haven't already done so - are you in the recovery shell btw? if so networking won't be enabled by default

Beans

Hi Guys
    The update was not working because for some reason the server had lost its DNS server settings.
    After putting these back it still had issues so i copied a sources file from another server and replaced the existing one.
    The ubuntu-x-swat-x-updates-precise.list was in the sources.list.d folder so i removed that also
    It is now updating and upgrading and also seems to boot up a lot quicker. I am currently accessing through SSH and am not in front of the screen so I cannot yet see if the pipe issue is resolved. I would think though that as it is rebooting in normal time now (approx 30 seconds) and not taking some 3 minutes that it has also resolved this issue. I will check in a few hours in the morning and will let you know.
    Many thanks for the help and advice.

It is strange as this was a clean install from the download of 12.04.3 direct from Ubuntu site as an ISO file

P

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

patdundee; Well !

Strange things do happen, but I saw nothing amiss with the original sources.list file, and I was able to access the mirror in question. I will go long with steeldriver and say some where something got xlated - DNS activities (??) .. Will await further advisements.

@ steeldriver, as always I appreciate your thoughts and it is a pleasure when ya drop in.

all's well that ends well
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12