Thread: Ubunto13.10 keeps crashing

Beans

Ubunto13.10 keeps crashing

I am absolutely new to Ubuntu but my initial experience has been very disappointing.

1. Took several attempts to install on my 32 bit laptop. (worked fine on windows 7). Kept hanging part way through installation. (Yes, I am using the 32 bit version of Ubuntu)
    2. Once i finally got a clean install it usually takes two or three attempts to boot properly. Either hangs or boots with no mouse or keyboard support.
    3. Once I do get it to boot I notice that the implementation of Firefox is very poor (displays websites improperly that windows firefox and android firefox display just fine) Chrome is better but stilll not perfect
    4. Thunderbird strips attachments from my e-mails and replaces them with winmail.dat (I last saw this phenomena years ago!)

If i did not know better I would assume that either the software was in beta or that Ubuntu really was not ready for prime time. But everything I read tells me that lots of people do use it for serious work so I am assuming I have done something wrong along the way.

Any advice for a newbie would b appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubunto13.10 keeps crashing

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaird View Post
    I am absolutely new to Ubuntu but my initial experience has been very disappointing.

1. Took several attempts to install on my 32 bit laptop. (worked fine on windows 7). Kept hanging part way through installation. (Yes, I am using the 32 bit version of Ubuntu)
    2. Once i finally got a clean install it usually takes two or three attempts to boot properly. Either hangs or boots with no mouse or keyboard support.
    3. Once I do get it to boot I notice that the implementation of Firefox is very poor (displays websites improperly that windows firefox and android firefox display just fine) Chrome is better but stilll not perfect
    4. Thunderbird strips attachments from my e-mails and replaces them with winmail.dat (I last saw this phenomena years ago!)

If i did not know better I would assume that either the software was in beta or that Ubuntu really was not ready for prime time. But everything I read tells me that lots of people do use it for serious work so I am assuming I have done something wrong along the way.

Any advice for a newbie would b appreciated.

Thanks

Jim
    4. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff || SandyDNET
    Twitter: @CatchesAStar | Last.fm
    Ubuntu Membership via Forum Contributions

Beans

Thanks Sandy...at least one answer. Thanks very much.

104 views and one answer. Not very friendly on this forum are they?

Since you are the only one talking to me... do you mind if i ask you if you have installed Ubuntu 13.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I said goodbye to windows in 2008 and installed ubuntu 8.04. Over the years I have used ubuntu, kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint and openSuse on various hardware like Sony Viao and lenovo Thinpad. Currently I am running Ubuntu 13.10. I have had a few minor problems, mostly WiFi in the early years but those were quickly sorted by very helpfull persons on this forum. I have never experienced a crash.
    Having said that I do understand your disappointment and frustration. Obviously something either went wrong with the installation or there is some hardware conflict. These problems can all be sorted I am sure. To get the help you need you would have to be somewhat more specific like:
    What hardware are you using, are you dual booting wirh Windows, did you check the Md5 sum of the installation disk to ensure that the iso you burned was complete (no broken packages) etc., your bios settings- do you use "secure boot" and many more.
    Do not loose faith, this is not an unfriedly forum, sometimes how quick you get an answer depends on the time of the day. People are all over the world and in different time zones and may be sleeping or working right now.
    Once you get the hang of Linux you will see it was worth it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaird View Post
    I am absolutely new to Ubuntu but my initial experience has been very disappointing...If i did not know better I would assume that either the software was in beta or that Ubuntu really was not ready for prime time.
    ...104 views and one answer. Not very friendly on this forum are they? Since you are the only one talking to me...
    Perhaps if you can the snarks and the sarcasm, you might get more responses. You did not even have to wait the requisite 24 hours before getting a response, and that from a Mod too. 6 hours is no wait at all on any forum and especially so on a community forum where the helpers are all volunteering their time and expertise. It also helps to provide actually useful info in your initial post: things like HW details, installation media, how you downloaded; else how is anyone supposed to help you?

I have helped hundreds of very frustrated people on these forums. I understand and sympathize with frustration. But it does not excuse bad manners. If you want help, stop insulting your potential helpers.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans
    Distro

Jimbaird may have been wrong in his choice of words, but sandyd instead of helping him (her) linked him to a microsoft-support page. That too was wrong!
    Two wrongs do not make one right!
    Edit: I has been pointed out me that sandyd did in fact help by pointing Jimbaird to the microsoft-support site as this link actualy addresses one of the problems in question. So I was to hasty with my answer. I do appologize to sandyd for calling the action wrong. It just never occured to me that a microsoft-support site could be good for anything. So please forgive me.
    Last edited by germanix; November 27th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.