Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mail Server

Beans

Re: Given Up...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgentleman View Post
    The budget is $20. It would be nice if it had a web interface and that I could point a subdomain at it, but it is not a necessity.
    If that's a monthly figure, you can have a complete virtual Linux server at Linode. The basic machine has 1 GB of memory and 48 GB of storage.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    If that's a monthly figure, you can have a complete virtual Linux server at Linode. The basic machine has 1 GB of memory and 48 GB of storage.
    +1. I just moved my mail server to RamNode because they had a 42% off special for their SSD and SSD-cached VPSes. Totally worth it.

Ramnode has a 1GB OpenVZ VPS for $15 a month and a KVM VPS for $24 a month.
    Last edited by CharlesA; December 6th, 2013 at 03:18 AM.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    So it would be fully setup for me? Mail server, Apache, MySQL, SSH, ect? I need a pgp keyserver as well would I be able to have that preinstalled as well or will I need to install from SSH?

Sincerely,
    Patrick Thomas (Timberwolf)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So it would be fully setup for me? Mail server, Apache, MySQL, SSH, ect? I need a pgp keyserver as well would I be able to have that preinstalled as well or will I need to install from SSH?
    Why would you need a pgp key server? If you do buy a VPS, it'll have SSH installed by default and you manage it entirely via ssh (unless you install something like Webmin, cPanel or the like). This means you would need to set it up, make sure it is secure, and then make sure updates are applied, etc.

Have a read here:
    https://library.linode.com/email/pos...ot2.0.19-mysql

That is how I have my mail server setup. Of course my mail server is also running spamassassin and other stuff, but that should get your a basic mail server setup and running.
    Last edited by CharlesA; December 7th, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So it would be fully setup for me? Mail server, Apache, MySQL, SSH, ect? I need really want a pgp keyserver as well would I be able to have that preinstalled as well or will I need to install from SSH?
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Have a read here:
    https://library.linode.com/email/pos...ot2.0.19-mysql

That is how I have my mail server setup. Of course my mail server is also running spamassassin and other stuff, but that should get your a basic mail server setup and running.
    I was hoping I would just be able to select mail server, apache, mysql, ssh, ect on a setup menu or something... I will probably switch to linode anyway as they have a setup double what I have now for only $3 more, but I will have to do it after new years. Either way I will need to get the mail server running...

Sincerely,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Mail Server

That why I recommended installing iRedMail. It's like installing a windows program. Run the installer, select yes, yes, next...provide details.. nah..

Kidding aside, (seriously) it's really simple, after you setup your server, try to run the installer for iredmail. After the installation, (probably in 5 minutes if you have fast internet) your complete mail server is done. No coding is even required.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
    That why I recommended installing iRedMail. It's like installing a windows program. Run the installer, select yes, yes, next...provide details.. nah..

Kidding aside, (seriously) it's really simple, after you setup your server, try to run the installer for iredmail. After the installation, (probably in 5 minutes if you have fast internet) your complete mail server is done. No coding is even required.
    +1. I looked into using it originally, but decided against it cuz the memory footprint was a bit high.

Of course, now my production web server has everything iRedMail has minus the iRedMail control panel thing and the memory usage is about the same.

When you do get the server installed, if you don't already have a firewall setup, check out CSF:
    http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post

That's what I figured I would do after switching to Linode is install the bare minimum Ubuntu Server, install iredmail, follow their wiki on removing spam detection and filtering (been wanting to get the game server off the home network), install the parts of a webserver that it did not, install sks, then restore backups of database
    Last edited by wolfgentleman; December 8th, 2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: fixed grammar error & added missing words

Sincerely,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ok, finally go setup on Linode. iRedMail is not as easy as stated. I have managed fix most errors, however iredadmin is not working fully. I keep getting "Error: (1054, "Unknown column 'language' in 'field list'")". Also the install seemed to go fine, but it didn't configure itself - only MySQL, Apache, Dovecot, Postfix, ect. I followed their tut for disabling antivirus/antispam, but rather than disabling ClamAV and Amavisd I removed them, deleting the line it says to comment out in main.cf. Also I had to fix some things in the Apache config as I needed it to use mail.twprogrammers.com for webmail/admin panel/ect and not redirect EVERYTHING to webmail. So I don't know what is working and what isn't with the admin panel. Roundcube gives a can't connect error, turns out it didn't configure it either. I tried to fix that one to no avail, but will search tomorrow as well as post configs of everything as well as an sql dump of my mail-related databases. Thanks for suggesting Linode. I am loving it so much better.

Sincerely,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You installed iredmail on a *fresh* installation of Ubuntu server 12.04 right?
    You should have any problems. Anyway, go over to the iredmail forums, the developer is very active answering support questions.
    Goodluck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast