Thread: Pidgin / Empathy cannot connect to Google / MS accounts

Beans

Pidgin / Empathy cannot connect to Google / MS accounts

This problem started... well I am not sure, since I was not using these messengers for a while. The last time, maybe a two weeks ago, everything was working fine.

The problem first started with my MS (hotmail) account, and a day after I was not able to log into my google accounts any more. For Google I am using 2 step verification, and accordingly application specific passwords, but never had any problems with it, until now.

Anyone with a same problem, suggestion?

Beans

Re: Pidgin / Empathy cannot connect to Google / MS accounts

Strange that I am the only one with this issue... It looks to me that Google is gradually switching to Hangouts, completely abandoning GTalk/XMPP clients support.

Beans

I don't have Pidgin installed but I am not having any trouble using my Gmail account with Empathy and I also use two-step authentication. Have you tried fully removing your account and readding it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    I don't have Pidgin installed but I am not having any trouble using my Gmail account with Empathy and I also use two-step authentication. Have you tried fully removing your account and readding it?
    Thanks for posting. Yes I did try to remove and readd the account... They are probably doing it (switching to hangouts completely.) gradually, so be prepared : ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I don't have any trouble with Empathy, initially with 13.10 there was an issue with Facebook but after some updates thats gone, however MSN refused to connect with Empathy, it does connect fine with Pidgin though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by den_ View Post
    Thanks for posting. Yes I did try to remove and readd the account... They are probably doing it (switching to hangouts completely.) gradually, so be prepared : ).
    I actually already manually switched to Hangouts on the web and use the Hangouts extension when I'm in Windows, but it still works fine for me in Empathy.

You might want to try disabling 2-step Authentication for a minute and seeing if that allows you to log in to narrow down what the issue is.