Thread: Tuners in constant use, until I change the way backend starts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Tuners in constant use, until I change the way backend starts

I have just installed two TBS cards a 6982 DVB-S & 6280 DVB-T into what was my perfect running Mythbuntu .27, well the satellite side was fine, but had to ditch the terrible Nova-TD USB.

Problem I had was constant tuners are in use, yet with scan then play via mplayer they work fine? Now by accident I stopped the backend and thought about starting it verbose, but instead of doing a sudo service mythbackend stop & atart I just ran mytbackend on it's own. Tuners now work in Myth? , did try starting as a service again and the tuners are all busy again? Is this some sort of permissions issue with the tuners? Not quite sure where to look? any hints ?

Paul.
    Infamy, Infamy, they all got it in for me!

Beans

Re: Tuners in constant use, until I change the way backend starts

Quote Originally Posted by drifting View Post
    I have just installed two TBS cards a 6982 DVB-S & 6280 DVB-T into what was my perfect running Mythbuntu .27, well the satellite side was fine, but had to ditch the terrible Nova-TD USB.

Problem I had was constant tuners are in use, yet with scan then play via mplayer they work fine? Now by accident I stopped the backend and thought about starting it verbose, but instead of doing a sudo service mythbackend stop & atart I just ran mytbackend on it's own. Tuners now work in Myth? , did try starting as a service again and the tuners are all busy again? Is this some sort of permissions issue with the tuners? Not quite sure where to look? any hints ?

Paul.
    How are you getting your scheduling information? I don't know how it works in your area, but where I live, if you tell MythTV that you want the scheduling information that's embedded in the transmitted signals, then apparently the Myth backend constantly scans those channels when a tuner is not otherwise in use. If, on the other hand, you use something like mc2xml to get schedule information, then it doesn't do that. I found this out when I originally set up MythTV with a HDHomeRun Dual and the tuner lights were constantly on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi thanks
    Yes, it is using EIT data, and has been for a long while, this has only happened since I have installed the new DVB-T card. Strangely enough I have not even installed a new driver, as being the same company (TBS) it uses exactly the same one.
    Infamy, Infamy, they all got it in for me!

Beans

That's it, EIT. I could not think of the term. Anyway, I have no idea why it didn't do that before you installed the new tuner, but I was told that's normal behavior when you use EIT data. Which seemed weird and rather undesirable to me - IMHO it should only recheck at specific preset intervals, like maybe every hour or two. But, apparently, that's not how it works, or at least that's what i was told.