Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu OS on New Nexus 7 2013 Expectations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu OS on New Nexus 7 2013 Expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by neel3 View Post
    Can someone please confirm this ?
    It's absolutely common knowledge that Ubuntu for Phones is not intended for end-users to install on any Android phone. It's made for OEMs to ship as the preinstalled operating system on a phone. Canonical has never said otherwise. The number of officially-supported development devices has dropped, not increased.

"Install Ubuntu for phones ›
    for developers and industry partners only" - http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/operators-and-oems

If this was made for end-users, the "minimum system requirements" would mention specific phones, not general specifications.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    It's absolutely common knowledge that Ubuntu for Phones is not intended for end-users to install on any Android phone. It's made for OEMs to ship as the preinstalled operating system on a phone. Canonical has never said otherwise. The number of officially-supported development devices has dropped, not increased.

"Install Ubuntu for phones ›
    for developers and industry partners only" - http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/operators-and-oems

If this was made for end-users, the "minimum system requirements" would mention specific phones, not general specifications.

This is a joke right ? I mean yes OEM is sure good thing but 99% of people not just hope but EXPECT to install Ubuntu Touch on their Android phones, and not just "install" but hard flash it as ONLY OS to eplace Android, I mean I am not sure what planet are you prom but innovation is only reason they dropped official support from OLD Nexus 7 and reason Nexus 5 is not in the list is simply they will not be able to make it happen (too new) in this case by release day so they don't want to promise something that they can't produce. I mean come on, how can you say Ubuntu Touch is meant for OEM and OEM only and they never promised .... you're silly. But anyhow I really hope you're wrong and if you're not and you wond be able to install and they drop support for devices and only way to get Ubuntu Touch as pre-installed with a phone ...well they can just give up right about now on Ubuntu-Touch ... cause people from Samsung wont allow that. And I fully expect to install Ubuntu Touch on upcoming Galaxy S 5, let's only hope bootloader comes unlocked and people from XDA work on port. Once again I am huge fan of Ubuntu and let's hope this OEM business talk is just a talk and Ubuntu stay open and free for all PC users as well as mobile users .....Ubuntu Touch for iPhone anyone ? Just a joke ....

Beans

Last weekend I installed Ubuntu Touch on my Nexus 7 2013 and it works fine.
    To do this you need a rooted tablet with MultiRom and special version of trwp for MultiRom.

After I installed twrp and rooted my nexus 7 2013 (used this video to root an install twrp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1cD...e_gdata_player)
    I used MultiROmMangener App (see http://allhackersnews.com/2013/12/mu...-5nexus-7.html) to install
    MultiRom v24, twrp Recovery 2014-06-05 (= special version of twrp for MultiRom), kexec.
    In the 2nd fase I used MultiROmMangener app to install a specific Ubuntu touch build.

Be aware, if you want to try it yourself, then you are doing it on your own risk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12