Thread: How to Add Calendar in LibreOffice Calc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question How to Add Calendar in LibreOffice Calc?

I have an .ods (OpenDocument Spreadsheet) spreadsheet that I have created in LibreOffice Calc, and I would like to add a pop-up calendar...

Specifically, I want users to click on a cell in a certain column, have a calendar pop-up automatically and when the user clicks a date/month/year on the calendar, the calendar closes, inserting the applicable date in a suitable format.

How can I achieve this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to Add Calendar in LibreOffice Calc?

This can be achieved using the macro programming language of Libreoffice.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    This can be achieved using the macro programming language of Libreoffice.
    I don't want to be a pain, but can anyone please provide a guide or instructions to do this?

If it's any consolation, I intend to make my spreadsheet publicly-available as a template and given the difficulty in accomplishing this task, I am giving serious consideration to creating a YouTube video showing how it is done (I'm a firm believer of sharing knowledge, particularly with regards to uncommon issues like this one)... Once I work it out myself that is.

Beans

I am not any expert in macros, but have you tried searching an extension that would cover your need? Just a suggestion.

Beans
    Distro

Actually, I never thought of that!

After searching for an extension, I came-up with this:
    http://extensions.libreoffice.org/ex...endar-for-calc

It's not exactly what I had in mind... Users still have to enter a keyboard shortcut or select the calendar from the menu, but maybe it's something I can work with.

Obviously I will still have to do a bit of reading regarding macros, but perhaps I can launch the extension with a macro rather than writing a macro to generate the calendar and input the date? If possible, I imagine this would be far simpler than writing a macro to do the lot...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The extension might do enough of what you want that you won't need macros, one can hope. It seems written in Python. With LibreOffice, you can write your macros in Python or Javascript. I think Java might be an option, too. This capability is underpublicized.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am not sure if it is possible to trigger a macro just by clicking on the very cell where you want to enter the data. It is possible, though, to create a button to run a macro. Thus, you could create a button next to the cell that the user may click to enter the date. Not ideal, but close.