Thread: Notebook Asus N750JV-T4069H: Nvidia GeForce GT750M

Beans

Notebook Asus N750JV-T4069H: Nvidia GeForce GT750M

Hi all,
    happy with 7 months Linux experience on old HP desktop, few days ago I deleted Windows from my brand new notebook Asus N750JV-T4069H (Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ; Bit 64; Nvidia GeForce GT750M) and installed Xubuntu 13.10. I'm not sure but it seems to me that my problem is Xubuntu bug. If this is the case, I would be very grateful if someone can communicate the problem to the development team 'cause I get lost inside the more than complicated bug reporting procedure:

- Nvidia GeForce GT750M is not recognized
    (after many experiments with all kinds of drivers and stuff like Bumblebee, the only thing that somehow works is - "NVIDIA binary Xorg driver/kernel module and VDPAU library nvidia 319-updates/Proprietary" - but during startup some strange black screen with vertical colored lines appears instead of Nvidia logo, and later settings like brightness, contrast and other missing).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Notebook Asus N750JV-T4069H: Nvidia GeForce GT750M

See https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDe.../N750JV/Jessie. Looks like you need the 325 or greater drivers.

Beans

thanks for reply - already tried (331.20 included)

Beans

I have reinstalled Xubuntu once again. Don't know if it is of any importance, but in my computer ther'e no a single trace of Windows 8 (uefi/boot).
    So after

sudo apt-add-repository ppaorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-331 nvidia-settings-331 nvidia-prime

situation is much better now - generally speaking. Still there's no Nvidia logo durin startup, and settings like brightness and contrast missing.

Beans

Thanks, xorg-edgers ppa helped. glxinfo showed that picture is rendered via GT750M GPU. But after I tried to change resolution(I have Kubuntu) and save config in nvidia-settings, screen went black.
    I rebooted just to find out that GUI is not starting anymore.
    Rebooted again in text mode, analyzed the log and saw that there is "NVidia persistense daemon" failed to start. I removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf and rebooted.
    GUI is working again, but drivers are not. I tried dpkg-reconfigure, tried purging and re-installing - and still, it doesn't work.