Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to mask/spoof MAC address?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to mask/spoof MAC address?

Hello

I work in telecom and I would be absolutely lost without macchanger. If I go to a location which has a device where the mac is recorded by the provider, I need to mimic the mac to make sure the backhaul is good or see what the device sees.
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I tried out those commands and the wireless network refused to connect, it keep asking me for the password until I change back MAC address to default, the same problem when I tried Cloned MAC Address option on Network settings.
    I'm really confused! What's causing it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As previously stated
    Quote Originally Posted by pbrane View Post
    Having an invalid OUI is a red flag and some layer 2 devices can detect this.
    Also some wireless networks filter MAC addresses and only allow certain MACs to join. Ask your network administrator for those details.

Do you have the password? What happened when you entered your password?
    What's your goal? To join the wireless network using a MAC address not your own?

Beans
    Distro

I'm sorry for my late reply!
    After spoofing, it keeps asking for my password like forever, it doesn't show any error login message or something.
    I'm trying to mask my MAC because I want to protect my privacy, there's only a one ISP on the area where I live and it's snooping on all users activates.
    I'm already using VPN but I wanted to mask my MAC for extra protection, that's it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't think spoofing your MAC is going to give you any more privacy. Layer 2 has to know your MAC to switch the packets to the appropriate port. changing it just means more ARP requests. Your ISP is probably logging layer 3 and 4 traffic. Chances are the only MAC they see is your router WAN port. Not much you can do about that. You're on their network and you probably agreed to their TOS.

Beans
    Distro

I think you're right (sigh) well, thanks everyone for helping me!

Beans

Kinda had the same problem. Also Network Manager didn't update the cloned-mac field, and used the hardcoded one. I wrote a little bash script that need macchanger and root access. Here's the link: http://cyberandspace.wordpress.com/2...or-macchanger/ Hope this helps. Cheers, Manuel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12