Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: even a blind chicken sometimes gets the corn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: even a blind chicken sometimes gets the corn

@Duckhook, thanks, I get your point, I will tell my son to go and play with the kids and leave us grown-ups alone.
    @Mips, now you have gone and spoiled the friendship, calling my 14 seconds "slow". I feel like an old man now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Have never tried Windows 8 and am happy that I will likely never have to. This was about two and a half years ago, so it was XP, Vista and W7. Not much difference between them actually, but if I recall, in descending order, it was W7, XP, then Vista as slowest of the slowpokes. I read somewhere that W8 takes advantage of hybrid boot only when there is a SSD acting as cache, but frankly don't know anything about it, so it's just a passing rumour to me. Actually, if there is one thing I don't fault Windows with, it is slow boot times. They have to take into account even more HW variety than Linux does, and one of the drawbacks of a micro-kernel is that each driver must be mapped to the kernel and loaded individually (at least, that's my understanding--maybe I'm just spouting nonsense).
    Vista was by far the slowest, I don't know what they did to it but it took it nearly a minute and a half just to boot. Not to mention it was slow as sloth even after it boots.

And both Windows and Linux have to account for the same type of hardware, though I believe Linux has to account even more since it's universal unlike Windows that has split home/server/business/etc systems. Windows Server has a different hardware compatibility and kernel than Windows Home, and Home has a different kernel than Professional, they are all split and the hardware support differs a lot (especially RAM, co-processor, and multi-socket support).

Win8, when there's a caching SSD, it stores the data onto that SSD. If there is none, it'll store it in RAM instead. But they managed to turn it into a dumb system initially, upon Win8 release if anything happened and the hibernation data got corrupted or destroyed (power failure or something), it would fail to boot and you needed to repair or reinstall the OS, it got fixed later on. You have no idea how may Win8 systems I had to repair since that thing got released, people would have hybrid boot on cause it boots fast, turn off the PC, unplug it from the wall socket (usually to fiddle with hardware inside or when there's a thunder storm), and it wouldn't boot anymore. I honestly don't know how they managed to mess that one up.

I'm curious... have you ever tried bcache? I would think that leaving everything on the HDD but enabling intelligent caching of absolutely everything from the SSD would load just as fast as a pure SSD install. I have an SSD/HDD combo on my main box and just like you, I leave /home /var /tmp and /swap on the HDD. It Loads plenty fast enough for me so I've never tried bcache, but it sounds fascinating. What I've read about it leads me to believe that I would have to compile bcache into the kernel, which seems to be too much trouble for too little gain.
    I was researching that and it does require compiling that into the kernel. It wouldn't be much of a problem though, I can compile the stock Wheezy kernel under 10 minutes and Debian gets kernel updates once in a blue moon. But Wheezy is my main OS and it's used to fix the rest of them if they break (I use Ubuntu development and Arch alongside Wheezy) so I honestly don't care how fast it boots as long as it's solid as a rock.

If you want to squeeze out the very last iota of performance, then consider nixing "discard" and setting up trimming as a cron job. I've only read about it, have no personal experience with it myself, so use at your own risk.
    To be honest, I had an 80GB 5400RPM 2.5" SATA I drive I ripped out of a laptop prior to switching to an SSD, so I'm more than happy with the current speed (28MB/s compared to 280MB/s is not a small change). Besides, when it comes to storage, I'm looking more at maximum longevity than maximum performance, I'd rather have my data than a speedy boot time.

@oldfred Hmm, that article does seem interesting. I'll look into discard vs cron TRIM and see if there's an actual advantage to switching over to cron.

Beans

even a blind chicken sometimes gets the corn
    I thought it was a squirrel who was vision challenged ... and it was nuts he couldn't find.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Apples and oranges, nuts and corn, chicken and squirrels. We sure are agricultural here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12