Thread: installing ubuntu 10.04.4 server amd 64?

Beans

installing ubuntu 10.04.4 server amd 64?

its been a while since i messed with ubuntu and forget what i learned..can someone help me make a bootable cd..i want to make sure ill be able to install the ubuntu os before i dump windows 8 from this machine..i downloaded a torrent file of the os mentioned in the title and tried burning those files to disc, then tried booting from the disc..like i said , i forget everything..i can t accomplish this goal..can someone please walk me through this? the server OS may not be what i want but ive reached a point where ill take just about anything, other than windows 8..thanks

Beans

Re: installing ubuntu 10.04.4 server amd 64?

10.04 server is a command-line-only version. No desktop. It's also over five years old and past end-of-life. No more security updates.

Consider 12.04 desktop instead. Free. Good for three more years. http://download.ubuntu.com
    Very good instructions on copying the .iso onto a bootable USB stick are on that page, too.

If you really want to burn to a disc, you will generally need a DVD - most desktop .iso images are over 700MB.

Beans

use imgburn. google it. it's free and light weight. burn the iso to disk with it. boot from cd. follow prompts.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...desktop-latest

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If your computer comes with Windows 8 then it has UEFI and not BIOS. Though support is shorter you might face less trouble if you go for 13.10.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts