Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Shared Folder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu Shared Folder

Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this. On Windows there is a shared folder which all users have access to. I used to store music, videos and other files that way all users on the computer had access to them without install multiple files on the same hard drive. I was wondering if Ubuntu had a similar folder or if not how I could set one up like that.

Thanx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu Shared Folder

I think it's possible. It comes down to the ownership properties for the folder you want to setup for sharing.
    I can't say that I'm fluent with the Linux file system as yet, I'm still learning too, but it's way different that how Windows controls file/directory access.
    The ownership would deal more with group ownership/rights and who's in the group for access.

Try reading here:
    http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_lts0090.php

It explaines the Linus permissions system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you have that folder already just access that from Ubuntu.

Windows does not use EXT* filesystem. Doesn't know what it is. If you want to share between Win and Ubuntu you need to create (or use an existing) NTFS or FAT partition, which Ubuntu and Windows can read and write without issue.

I have a 15Gb partition called /Misc which is used for sharing.

That's it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    If you have that folder already just access that from Ubuntu.

Windows does not use EXT* filesystem. Doesn't know what it is. If you want to share between Win and Ubuntu you need to create (or use an existing) NTFS or FAT partition, which Ubuntu and Windows can read and write without issue.

I have a 15Gb partition called /Misc which is used for sharing.

That's it.
    I was just using Windows as an example. I just need to share folders on the same computer, within a single ubuntu partition between 2 logins within that partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oozaru View Post
    I just need to share folders on the same computer, within a single ubuntu partition between 2 logins within that partition
    Oh. Aren't all users seeing the folders on the partition? Can you be more specific? You mean you want different users to be able to share folders on the same partition?

You need to be more specific. How have you got these users set up that they can't see folders?

Beans

Like most things with Linux simple questions often result in complex answers - and in this case it all depends on what you mean by "shared"

Let's say you create a folder: /home/Shared

The following configurations will allow multiple users to add to and delete from the shared folder.

This will allow all users to add to the folder:
    Code:
    sudo chmod 0777 /home/Shared
    This will restrict it to only members of the plugdev group:
    Code:
    sudo chmod 0770 /home/Shared
    sudo chown :plugdev
    sudo gpasswd -a morbius plugdev
    The last command adds morbius to the plugdev group.

If you want users to be able to do the above and also to edit the files contained within that shared folder things get a bit more complicated.

This will allow all users of the plugdev group add/delete access to the folder and edit access to any new files created in or copied to the folder:
    Code:
    sudo chmod 2770 /home/Shared
    sudo chown :plugdev /home/Shared
    Note: What it will not do is affect any files moved to the shared folder. For that you need bindfs.

Another Note: If you are using Ubuntu13.10 you will unfortunately have to make one correction to the system:
    EDIT: I had to edit this post since on a fresh install of 13.10 even this didn't work correctly. It looks like in 13.10 you will need to use bindfs if you want to edit the contents of a shared directory.

Last Note: You can also add a "sticky bit" to these that will prevent one user from deleting a file owned by another which I can explain if desired.
    Last edited by Morbius1; November 23rd, 2013 at 08:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Oh. Aren't all users seeing the folders on the partition? Can you be more specific? You mean you want different users to be able to share folders on the same partition?

You need to be more specific. How have you got these users set up that they can't see folders?
    Basically what I need is a single location where I can store music, videos, ebooks etc so that the library programs I use (Banshee for music & video, Calibre for ebooks) can access them on both my account and my wife's account so that we don't have multiple copies of files on the computer.

Also I wanna allow the Guest account to access them too through the library software, i.e. they can play the music or watch the videos but without being able to edit or delete the files. I would think that this would be default but I just wanted to check.
    Last edited by oozaru; November 23rd, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

Beans

Then everywhere I posted a "0770" make it a "0775"

The owner and everyone in the plugdev group can add and delete in the folder and edit the files within them but everyone else can only read the files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Then everywhere I posted a "0770" make it a "0775"

The owner and everyone in the plugdev group can add and delete in the folder and edit the files within them but everyone else can only read the files.
    ok, this might be a stupid question but what is the plugdev group?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ok I know what it is now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast