Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: installing unity8

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: installing unity8

btw .. I can log on from lightdm
    I cannot. I am referring to the unity8-mir login session that is supposed to be available for 14.04 users. The only improvement I have noticed over the last few weeks is that I can now get to a tty to reboot and do not need to use the power switch.

I do have another install with Unity 8+Mir+the SDK+core apps and that works OK.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I cannot. I am referring to the unity8-mir login session that is supposed to be available for 14.04 users. The only improvement I have noticed over the last few weeks is that I can now get to a tty to reboot and do not need to use the power switch.

I do have another install with Unity 8+Mir+the SDK+core apps and that works OK.

In contradistinction I cannot logon to the unity8-xorg session. It is there in lightdm but when I log on I just get background screen. (no terminal ,ctrl+alt+F1 does not work) locked up solid , (ctrl+alt+del no go either). So I have to hard shutdown. Admittedly I must have borked it along the way somewhere because I first installed the Unity8 package from USC. I then removed it and installed it from synaptic then. Of course switching back and forth from Mir to Xorg requires some extra work with editing .conf files but I will research into that.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Recent unity8 updates do absolutely nothing to get it to work in xorg.

Beans
    Distro

Unity8 will not quit, even after log off. I will take up all the resources of one core (100%).

Edit:

Reboot will fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Run the two commands at the end of this article.
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/08/u...-13-10-arrives

those would be the export command and the unity8 -mousetouch command.

Then when the window opens, simply click on it, it should load you as guest(me thinks).
    I just wanted to bump this because it was what I was looking for with unity8 from terminal.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Interesting article on softpedia about the current development going on for the desktop version of unity 8....what you are seeing now on the desktop version is a very raw, rough version of what it will become over the next year and a half or so...we won't likely see unity 8 desktop as the default until the next LTS (16.04) and that is also when ubuntu 6 month version should be eliminated and essentially replaced by a rolling style release...as Mark Shuttleworth was recently talking about (at convergence which will be when unity 8 desktop becomes the default).
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canon...p-462117.shtml

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Interesting article on softpedia about the current development going on for the desktop version of unity 8....what you are seeing now on the desktop version is a very raw, rough version of what it will become over the next year and a half or so...we won't likely see unity 8 desktop as the default until the next LTS (16.04) and that is also when ubuntu 6 month version should be eliminated and essentially replaced by a rolling style release...as Mark Shuttleworth was recently talking about (at convergence which will be when unity 8 desktop becomes the default).
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canon...p-462117.shtml

Thanks .

I guess I sort of overshot the runway in thinking that we may be able to look under the hood during the next cycle coming up.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@ventrical: very true...but still, nice to know that they will be really concentrating on getting it perfected for the desktop now and that by next LTS we should see it as default and hopefully also finally get the rolling style ubuntu many of us here have always hoped for...including myself

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

thinking that we may be able to look under the hood during the next cycle coming up.
    As with everything software related it all depends on how well the development work proceeds. The Canonical Desktop team manager in his blog has outlines the intentions.

What we’ve decided to do this time is to keep the same, stable Unity 7 desktop as the default while we offer users who want to opt-in to Unity8 an option to use that desktop. As development continues the Unity 8 desktop will get better and better. It will benefit from a lot of the advances which have come about through the development of the phone OS and will benefit from continual improvements as the releases happen.

• 14.04 LTS: Unity 7 default / Unity 8 option for the first time
    • 14.10: Unity 7 default / Unity 8 new rev as an option
    • 15.04: Unity 7 default / Unity 8 new rev as an option
    • 15.10: Potentially Unity 8 default / Unity 7 as an option
    • 16.04 LTS: Unity 8 default / Unity 7 as an option

As you can see, this gives us a full 2 cycles (in addition to the one we’ve already done) to really nail Unity 8 with the level of quality that people expect.
    I think that they are going the right way about this. They are not putting the stability of the 14.04 LTS at risk. But do not forget, they do not want to put the stability of the 16.04 LTS at risk. It won't do anybody any good rushing everything during the 16.04 development cycle. Look at the actual blog and look at the section Things that are coming in the new Ubuntu desktop. All this change cannot be left just to one development cycle, the 16.04 cycle.

http://mhall119.com/2014/10/unity-8-desktop/

All the present default desktop applications will have to work on Mir and under Unity 8. That will have to be tested.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 19th, 2014 at 10:14 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

All the present default desktop applications will have to work on Mir and under Unity 8. That will have to be tested.

Regards.
    In that light our work is cut out for us then.

Regards..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast