Thread: [Windows] backup the recovery partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

[Windows] backup the recovery partition?

My gf having a HP Pavilion G6 computer with Windows 7 installed that also have a partition to recover Windows 7.
    She really want Windows 8 and asking me to install it.
    However, I know myself that had partition of Windows 7, that it went gone somehow.
    And knowing installation of Windows, it use to delete all the partitions? or does it? I mean that's like reason why to install Windows before Ubuntu when doing a dual boot?

Anyway, I wanna be secured to have able to install back to the original Windows 7 that she has.

In "my computer" folder I can see the C: drive and everything. Then it's the D: Recovery drive, that I believe is the installation of Windows 7 she has.

I opening this drive, but only finding some kind of a folder that's not even 1mb. Even though, the whole drive there seems to be around 20gb or something, so must be hidden files or something.

I wonder, how can I backup these recovery files?
    Wanna know so in case of she regrets Windows 8 after a time, that we can install back Windows 7 and it's original files.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: [Windows] backup the recovery partition?

Since this is a windows-specific issue, you would do better posting it in a windows-specific forum -- sevenforums.com is a good one to try.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to Other OS/Distro Support

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you boot up into Windows 7 there should be a HP utility among the applications for creating a set of recovery DVDs. They have the same functionality as the recovery partition, for restoring the machine to its factory condition.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

It would be better to leave Windows 7 on the laptop. Installing Windows 8 is like getting rid of XP to install Vista.

I have an HP laptop with a similar setup. As far as I know, the partition containing the recovery files are write protected, so you will have a really hard time getting rid of that partition, if it is even possible. So, if you install Windows 8, and it asks you where to install to, you merely pick the partition that you know is not the recovery partition, and it will install to that partition. If you do not like Windows 8, you simply reboot into the recovery partition, format the drive containing Windows 8 and reinstall Windows 7.

Beans

agree with previous post, stick with 7 way better
    FORMALLY KNOWN AS GOLDSHIRT9

Beans

dd