Thread: Ubuntu 12.04LTS Running Slow

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04LTS Running Slow

Hi,

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit on a Dell Optiplex 755 with 8GB Ram and Core Duo @ 2.33GHZ and Ubuntu seems very slow to load. I figured this PC should be more than enough to run Ubuntu seen as it has been running windows 7 for the last year with not a single problem. I love Ubuntu and want to make a switch to it completly but I dont understand why it is so much slower :S could anyone explain what could be causing this and is it common? is there anything I can do to make Ubuntu run faster other than change to a lighter opperating system?

Adam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.04LTS Running Slow

Quote Originally Posted by adam17 View Post
    Hi,

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit on a Dell Optiplex 755 with 8GB Ram and Core Duo @ 2.33GHZ and Ubuntu seems very slow to load. I figured this PC should be more than enough to run Ubuntu seen as it has been running windows 7 for the last year with not a single problem. I love Ubuntu and want to make a switch to it completly but I dont understand why it is so much slower :S could anyone explain what could be causing this and is it common? is there anything I can do to make Ubuntu run faster other than change to a lighter opperating system?

Adam
    How long does it take from bios to login screen. Then how long from hitting enter at login to desktop.
    Use a stop watch for a rough estimate. Or mobile phone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Is it a wubi install or a real dual-boot?
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

depends on what you mean by slow: is it slow booting up after selecting it from grub?.. or the Unity Desktop environment is slow? or is it slow when loggin in? or slow opening an application?

did you install wubi or real dual-boot?

ALSO.
    did you install the correct architecture? 32-bit, 64-bit? like... IS YOUR PC 32-bit or, 64-bit... since i looked at the specs of the DELL OPTIPLEX 755, it says that its a 32-bit system... that might be your case.. if you're not sure... go to your windows OS and go to My Computer->System Properties and check if your have a 32-bit or 64-bit

Beans

It seems to be slow opening applications. Boot takes around 48 seconds ( i can live with that) and log on takes about 27 seconds (perhaps a little slow) but after logging in it took about 18 seconds to first open firefox after clicking the launcher.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by adam17 View Post
    It seems to be slow opening applications. Boot takes around 48 seconds ( i can live with that) and log on takes about 27 seconds (perhaps a little slow) but after logging in it took about 18 seconds to first open firefox after clicking the launcher.
    The specs of the machine should run ubuntu very well. I'm on an Acer 1410 which only has 2gig ram and a single core Intel® Celeron(R) CPU 743 @ 1.30GHz with a graphics adapter Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset . Ubuntu runs pretty snappy on it.

What graphics card has your machine got?

I'm running 64 bit here.

Beans
    Distro

FF is always slow to start up.
    What of the rest of the programs. Are they also starting/running slow?
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org

Beans

Hi,

Nautilus takes about 4 to 5 seconds to respond similarly with Gimp and most software. Is this normal? Windows on this PC seemed to be alot more responsive.

for example a small game like Minecraft is very laggy on this machine with Ubuntu 12.04LTS

Adam

Beans
    Distro

Can you give the answers to:
    What is your graphics card?
    Is it a wubi or a normal dual-boot?

Beans

Hi,

No I installed Ubuntu on to a blank HDD I havent Installed the windows partition yet, just partitioned the HDD ready to install windows.

The Graphics card shows up in system information as

VGA compatible controller : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV610 [Radeon HD 2400 PRO/XT] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Adam