Thread: 32bit or 64bit?

Beans

Lightbulb 32bit or 64bit?

I am looking to reinstall and upgrade a couple of machines. They are not really old, but they are far from super duper. I read that for older 64bit machines the 32 bit Ubuntu should be considered can anyone tell me what option would suit these:

Desktop
    Unbranded
    3.2gb (3gb)
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6300 @ 2.80GHz × 2

Not sure on the graphics card in this - think it is the default on the board.

Laptop
    Lenovo 3000 N200
    2.9gb (3gb)
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU t5450 @ 1.66GHz x 2

I think both of above can be upgraded to 4gb if i switch out the 1gb modules for 2gb modules - and I do plan on doing this.

Many thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

Re: 32bit or 64nit?

Ah, I read it on the download page - but I clearly was not concentrating. I just rechecked and it says if you have 2gb or less. I am sure the wording was different a few weeks ago?

Thank you for the reply.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No, you're probably right. The advice to use the 32bit is misleading and there was talk it was going to be changed. Shouldn't be there.

Go the 64bit and that will take full advantage of your hardware. You can still run 32bit software on it no problem if required.

Beans

Thanks for the replies, appreciated. I'll grab the 64bit DL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am using an Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz x 2 with just 1GB RAM and apart from my first install of Ubuntu 7.04 32 bit I have run every 64 bit Ubuntu version released since. Things work fine. The graphic adapter makes the difference. I have 1GB memory on my Nvidia GT220. So, I would say having more system RAM is fine but having lots of video memory is even better when it comes to the users visual experience. An OS will only use the RAM is needs to use.

The recommendation to install 32 bit Ubuntu comes from two facts. 1) Users may not know if the CPU is 32 bit or 64 bit. 2) 32 bit Ubuntu will run on both 32 bit CPUs and 64 bit CPUs but 64 bit Ubuntu will only run on a 64 bit CPU. There was a risk that a new user would try to install 64 bit Ubuntu on a 32 bit CPU and not understand why he could not install Ubuntu. And that would = bad user experience. That risk is much less now.

Oh, by the way, Microsoft recommends that 32 bit Windows 8 by installed on 64 bit CPUs with only 1GB of system RAM. At least it did with a developer preview edition of Windows 8 that I got hold of.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 22nd, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I have a decent nvidia card in another machine, I might be able to um, switch it out and make this one a bit more beefy. That would be nice.

Thanks again.