Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox browser sluggish, crawled to a halt not letting me scroll down the page

Beans

Question Firefox browser sluggish, crawled to a halt not letting me scroll down the page

I was using Firefox in Ubuntu 13.10 to do my online shopping. It was so painful. The browser crawled to a halt not letting me scroll down the page, then the rest of the system decided to just stop! I looked up the issue using Google and was advised to disable add-ons and stuff in Firefox, but it didn't really help. The whole system still stopped, greyed out occasionally....I got so fed up I used my phone to do the rest of the shopping! Surely that can't be right?!

I used System Monitor to see what was going on but nothing obvious jumped out at me. Anyone else had this problem or know why it's doing this?
    Last edited by philinux; November 22nd, 2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Title

Beans

Re: Sllooowwww

There could be different reasons for your problems. We need to know more about your computer to be able to give relevant advice, so please give us the specifications of your computer, at least

- Brand name and model
    - CPU
    - RAM (size)
    - Graphics chip/card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As you can guess the answer is that it's not normal.

Is it a new installation and is it the first time you shop on that site?
    Are there problems with other, more simple sites like this one? Did your post come from that installation with that Firefox?
    Did you reboot and what gives then?

Beans

Ok my laptop is a HP with an Intel Dual Core CPU, and it's about 4 years old. It has about 1GB of RAM and (i think...or it could be 2, I'll have to check) and has only Ubuntu 13.10 installed on it. I'm posting this from work on a Windows PC. My laptop came with crappy Vista installed but ran fine, performance wise. I upgraded it to Windows 7 a year or so ago and it ran fine...not the best, but good enough. This I hope gives you an idea of it's performance capability but I couldn't tell you what on-board graphics chip-set it has without looking.

To be honest, I haven't had Ubuntu installed that long and not really done much with it, but my Mrs uses it most days to surf the net (and plan our wedding) and she says it's fine, so it could be something to do with the website I guess but wouldn't have thought it should be as it's one of the biggest supermarkets in the UK!

Beans

Some supermarket sites use a lot of flash animations on their websites which can slow a machine down quite a bit.

Try using the flash-block add-on for FF and see if it makes any difference on those sites..
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by neil5 View Post
    Ok my laptop is a HP with an Intel Dual Core CPU, and it's about 4 years old. It has about 1GB of RAM and (i think...or it could be 2, I'll have to check) and has only Ubuntu 13.10 installed on it. I'm posting this from work on a Windows PC. My laptop came with crappy Vista installed but ran fine, performance wise. I upgraded it to Windows 7 a year or so ago and it ran fine...not the best, but good enough. This I hope gives you an idea of it's performance capability but I couldn't tell you what on-board graphics chip-set it has without looking.

To be honest, I haven't had Ubuntu installed that long and not really done much with it, but my Mrs uses it most days to surf the net (and plan our wedding) and she says it's fine, so it could be something to do with the website I guess but wouldn't have thought it should be as it's one of the biggest supermarkets in the UK!
    If you have only 1 GB RAM, I suggest that you use Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu. Ubuntu's Unity desktop environment needs a lot of horsepower and memory to run well. With 2 GB RAM it's up to you to decide what style of desktop enviroment that you like better. If you have problems playing video (particularly high definition video), you can also try Xubuntu.

But if the system is generally slower than it used to be (that Ubuntu suddenly became slow), we need to look for another cause (maybe a bug or some problem with the file system or the hard disk drive).

Beans

Might look into Xubuntu. I have gnome desktop environment installed on Ubuntu so I could have logged into that instead and tried. Never gave it a thought!

Yeah I think there is a lot of Flash content on this particular site, but I didn't think Windows would win out over a Linux system. A little disappointed but I'm not giving up on it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Firefox browser sluggish, crawled to a halt not letting me scroll down the page

Original title amended.
    @neil5 please see this. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Firefox browser sluggish, crawled to a halt not letting me scroll down the page

@neil5, where were you shopping? Did you visit the Amazon site?

I've been having problems similar to what you describe with Amazon and Firefox since near the beginning of the year. The problem is intermittent and I have not yet been able to identify an add-on that might be contributing to the problem.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    If you have only 1 GB RAM, I suggest that you use Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu. Ubuntu's Unity desktop environment needs a lot of horsepower and memory to run well.
    I installed Ubuntu 13.10 under Virtualbox with 1 GB Ram and 12 MB video memory. Aside from a slow dash (But then that was also a problem on real hardware) that system works fine, and I encountered no problems surfing. Of course, I didn't try the site of the OP but then again he didn't mention it.

I posted on this site with that VM.

But of course in principle I agree with what you say: if you suspect hardware issues Xubuntu is a perfect alternative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast