Thread: Link aggregation (IEEE 802.3ad) between NAS and computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Link aggregation (IEEE 802.3ad) between NAS and computer

Hello,
    I have a Synology DS1511+ NAS that is connected directly to a workstation. The workstation mounts the the NAS drive via iSCSI. Since the workstation has two ethernet ports I was thinking of agreggating both links into one thus improving the performance.

Main question: Can it be done by skipping the switch part (i.e. via direct connection between NAS and the relevant computer)? All the tutorials I could find involved using a (smart enough) switch.

Thanks in advance,
    zee
    Last edited by zee; November 21st, 2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Various typos.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Link aggregation (IEEE 802.3ad) between NAS and computer

Quote Originally Posted by zee View Post
    Hello,
    I have a Synology DS1511+ NAS that is connected directly to a workstation. The workstation mounts the the NAS drive via iSCSI. Since the workstation has two ethernet ports I was thinking of agreggating both links into one thus improving the performance.

Main question: Can it be done by skipping the switch part (i.e. via direct connection between NAS and the relevant computer)? All the tutorials I could find involved using a (smart enough) switch.

Thanks in advance,
    zee
    I believe that both devices must support LACP to be directly connected together. The switch becomes one of those endpoints (if one host or the other doesn't support LACP). I doubt whether either host (your NAS or the workstation) support LACP in the first place, so the point appears moot.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks BAB1 for your reply.

The NAS offers the option of setting link aggregation according to the 802.3ad standard. For the workstation part I was thinking of using bonding mode 4, which enables link aggregation according to the very same standard.

Would that work?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by zee View Post
    Thanks BAB1 for your reply.

The NAS offers the option of setting link aggregation according to the 802.3ad standard. For the workstation part I was thinking of using bonding mode 4, which enables link aggregation according to the very same standard.

Would that work?
    We won't know until you try it. I say go for it!
    -BAB1