Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm back testing Ubuntu (Trusty) after a lengthy absence!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I'm back testing Ubuntu (Trusty) after a lengthy absence!

Finally have Unlimited Internet again so I'm back, it's seperate from my Mom and Dad's Internet so they no longer object if I run Ubuntu, Looking forward to getting my hands dirty, even if it means reinstalling several times, and starting over on my Coffee Bean Count (have NOT been here since the Ubuntu Forums were Redesigned). I just edited my sources list. Installing updates now.

Beans
    Distro

Re: I'm back testing Ubuntu (Trusty) after a lengthy absence!

P.S. I also do apoligize about the fact that I can only test Ubuntu and none of the other flavors as i have a Dell PC that originally came with Windows 8 and it does indeed have UEFI Firmware instead of a Tradidional BIOS. I can however positively report that the computer does boot up without having to disable Secure Boot at least while starting with a Saucy Platform as a Base and then using Ventrical's 3 commands to Upgrade to Trusty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

You might find this an interesting read

http://www.theorangenotebook.com/

There is no need to apologise for only testing what you are able to test. A founding principle of Ubuntu+1 testing is to have fun. Being a little bit crazy is not a requirement, but it does help sometimes.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I was just referring to the Sticky, where they are requesting Tester's for the other platforms other than Ubuntu. I should have clarified that I was referring to the Sticky in my post. i personally think that as more and more computers come with UEFI Firmware (a Windows 8 OEM Requirement for example) it will eventally become a lost cause. Just my 2 cents.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan8152 View Post
    Yeah, I was just referring to the Sticky, where they are requesting Tester's for the other platforms other than Ubuntu. I should have clarified that I was referring to the Sticky in my post. i personally think that as more and more computers come with UEFI Firmware (a Windows 8 OEM Requirement for example) it will eventally become a lost cause. Just my 2 cents.
    I have a new board with UEFI and even section for Windows 8 and a built in SSD for winki - see this link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2183482

What I did was I bought the board bare steel (MSI B75MA-P45) and built it from there with Ubuntu. I had no problems .. just a new learning curve with the BIOS. With my SSD drive unit all programs are instantaneous with the SATA 3 option. I am not sure though about if Windows 8 is already tied and bounded by an inter-licence with new MS policy but there should be a CD that came with your board where you can disable that or at least adjust it.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running W. Werewolf /dev/@ 4.05GHz64bit/ onE8400 Core2Duo-Wolfdale+Howler

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, but i am NOT Experieced with Computer Hardware, only Computer Software and Computer Networking, the college certification that I have is a Computer Networking Certification called Netprep (you can look it up at http://www.harpercollege.edu), it only included lectures on computer software and computer networking and a very limited amount of computer labs on Windows 2000 Professional/Server while I was there from 2001-2003. Bottom Line is I know how to change out RAM and Hard Drives but NOT Mother Boards. Sorry for going Off Topic.

Beans
    Distro

I should also mention that this Dell Machine is a Laptop NOT a Desktop. Forgot to mention that as well.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan8152 View Post
    I should also mention that this Dell Machine is a Laptop NOT a Desktop. Forgot to mention that as well.

I am not giviing any directions but I often swapped hdds with my Dell B130 Inspiron Laptop. I would take out my Windows XP hdd and put in an old used one.. then install Ubuntu on that. When I needed windows I would just swap it back in. Whether or not that will work with your new Dell UEFI is another story ... I guess sometimes patience pays off. I have several machines so I have the latitude to experiement, but it was not always that way.

Regards..
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

It should be no more difficult to install Ubuntu with UEFI+secure boot than it is with BIOS but that is easy for me to say when I only have one machine and it is a BIOS motherboard! But easy installs is the target, do you not think? And installing Ubuntu on UEFI+secure boot+Windows 8 motherboards does need testing. And people do need a one, two, three step set of instructions on how to install safely, I think. The kind of instructions that a practical experimenter could write.

I was shocked last year when Windows 8 first came out. Soon after those machines were on the market people were coming on this forum expecting to be told how to install Ubuntu on them. As if anyone here had that hardware and were willing to mess it up.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    It should be no more difficult to install Ubuntu with UEFI+secure boot than it is with BIOS but that is easy for me to say when I only have one machine and it is a BIOS motherboard! But easy installs is the target, do you not think? And installing Ubuntu on UEFI+secure boot+Windows 8 motherboards does need testing. And people do need a one, two, three step set of instructions on how to install safely, I think. The kind of instructions that a practical experimenter could write.

I was shocked last year when Windows 8 first came out. Soon after those machines were on the market people were coming on this forum expecting to be told how to install Ubuntu on them. As if anyone here had that hardware and were willing to mess it up.

Regards.
    Ya know.. I still have my Win 8 Trial RTM 64bit. I installed it twice already. I forget if there was a product code but it is for 90 trial. I should install it and see if I can help with this problem. I'll keep my original 1.5 TB hdd untouched and put in a surplus 250GB SATA . It's my fastest machine .. but what the hey ... we go to compete.

regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; October 25th, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
    This is Rolling Release

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast