Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Ubuntu development is going towards 'touch', where does that leave the 'desktop' u

Beans

If Ubuntu development is going towards 'touch', where does that leave the 'desktop' u

All,

My experience with Ubuntu post 12.10 (re. 13.04, 13.10) has been less than ideal.

Understanding that most of this is due to the fact that development has been directed towards a tablet/touch interface, I have to wonder where this leaves the desktop user such as myself that is perfectly happy with a keyboard and mouse, a monitor and a laptop, as it suits all my app development and general use... all on 12.04...

12.04/12.10 is in my mind, the ideal desktop experience, surpassing both Windows and Mac, and most importantly all other Linux distro's I've used, not just in the intuitive and effective GUI, but in the application support that exists for all lines of 'work'. It's not a solution to simply use Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome / Fedora (what's the difference to the end-user???).

I'm not going to upgrade to 13.04/13.10... I'm just disappointed.

So if Ubuntu development keeps going in this direction, where does that leave us satisfied desktop users?

-m

Beans

Re: If Ubuntu development is going towards 'touch', where does that leave the 'deskto

What exactly is it that you don't like about 13.04/13.10? Is it Unity? If so, what is wrong with Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu?

I am also not a fan of Unity and as a result use Xubuntu instead. I cannot speak highly enough about that flavor of Ubuntu and it's minimalist approach (while still maintaining good looks). Not much has changed in Xubuntu since 12.04. Really the only changes that I've noticed are the updated packages and better multi-monitor support. Xubuntu has shown to be a stable distribution in the past. Most recently they decided not to include Mir in 13.10 while Ubuntu was still pushing for it's inclusion.

I would talk more about the other flavors such as Kubuntu and Lubuntu but I don't have any experience with them.

-Jason

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: If Ubuntu development is going towards 'touch', where does that leave the 'deskto

Unity is mouse friendly....it isn't a touch interface...although it works well as one too (which is why it is called UNITY...lol) it really is just a dock....just like what the mac computers have always had and nobody has ever said that macs aren't mouse friendly...if you like docks you should like unity...and if not then choose xubuntu, kubuntu, etc....

Personally, i like docks so i enjoy using unity myself...Canonical is developing the other touch type interfaces (phone, tablet, etc) as WELL AS the desktop...nothing has changed...so to answer your question:
    That leaves the desktop as it has ALWAYS been with ubuntu...and in fact the ubuntu desktop actually gains advantages because of the touch development in terms of things like improved display managers, less ram (memory) usage, longer battery life, etc...
    Last edited by craig10x; November 20th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Us, satisfied desktop users will still be in the same place by Ubuntu 15.04 as we are now. And that is with a fantastic Linux distribution that we can download and install free of charge. How can that be something to complain about?

There will be many improvements to the desktop along the way. Lower memory footprint is something that I have already seen in 13.04, 13.10 and now on Trusty Tahr in comparison with 12.04. Not bad for hardware that was purchased in 2007 and which was nothing near the edge of development at the time. And it has come about due to developments for Ubuntu on mobile devices.

We will have a new system compositor that will get rid of all that flickering as the boot process switches from Xserver to Light Display Manager and then to Compiz. And if we buy a Touch screen monitor we can use the mobile apps on our desktop with touch gestures. Or we may be able to purchase a Ubuntu super phone or tablet that can be used as a Desktop PC.

We will have a converged Ubuntu code base that will be the same code for PC as for phone as for tablet and as for TV.

We will have a more secure boot process because Ubuntu will not be using Xserver. We will have the option of installing applications that are click packaged and so are unable to do malicious things to the system. At the moment every application in the software centre has to be code audited to determine if it has malicious code. This is all taken care of in the click package process. When we install applications downloaded from a web site we have no guarantee that the code is safe.

We are not forced to upgrade to 13.10. Users of 12.04 should stay where they are until 14.04. I do not understand how someone can be happy with Ubuntu 12.04 and disappointed with Ubuntu 13.04 or 13.01. Unity 7 (in 13.10 and to be in 14.04) is much improved over the version of Unity in 12.04.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@mapbaker

Convergence is the buzzword now.

Reminds me of three musketeers.

One for all and all for one.

Beans

Wink Re: If Ubuntu development is going towards 'touch', where does that leave the 'deskto

Below is my list... after using 13.10 a bit more, it is better than 13.04... but progression towards 'touch' is troubling.

Re. Kubuntu/Lubuntu, etc. - Unity in Ubuntu is GREAT!!! Those other distros are too minimal, and don't have support for many applications I'm using (geospatial, etc.)

List of Troubling Developments for Ubuntu:

its getting bigger
    - used to be able to fit this on a CD, now need a DVD, which is mostly a waste of space...
    - even though the OS gets faster, why is it getting bigger?

Commands disappearing
    - I'm not sure what the correct term is, but clicking ALT in Ubuntu reveals an interface into many commands. at 13.10, those seem to be disappearing - again likely due to the fact that in a touch environment, these commands aren't necessary
    -- missing commands include 'shut down', 'suspend', 'disconnect' (from wireless)
    - also strange behaviour with application commands, ie. in Mozilla applications certain commands aren't appearing and/or aren't responding to the text that 'should' bring them up...(ie, move message, etc.)
    - split window / extra pane is gone (yes, two windows moved to either side does work)

Commercialized dash search results
    - just plain wrong from a desktop developer / user standpoint.
    - I use Ubuntu because it is NOT commercialized!!!

General 'flashy'-ness
    - icons are getting more glossy and shiny...unnecessary unless you're trying to lure in those who respond to glossy and shiny objects...
    - I have heard from people who stopped using Ubuntu when the new dock / unity experience was released, claiming it looked like "windows vista" - while I can't agree with that statement, the 12.04 interface is, again, the best desktop experience I have used.
    - I can handle this at 13.10, but if it gets any worse, it will be like Vista!!!

Ubuntu One
    - turning into "Apple ID" in its pervasiveness into my desktop experience
    - i'm not sure this is going to be the app they want it to be, as using Dropbox or another more platform-independent service is in fact more 'open', in that I can share files with non-ubuntu users!

Generally:
    - 13.10 is still GREAT...but I can see things starting to move to the 'touch' side of things

- but who is the target audience of this 'touch' development? Passive consumers of media? Again, for those using Ubuntu as a (wonderful) platform for development and all the apps that require a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, where will this leave us?

- Is Ubuntu going to be a place where I can run a web browser and simply 'look at stuff' on my tablet?

ALL OF THE ABOVE is meant for constructive criticism with a smile and encouragement NOT complaining... I believe the right open-source / Linux OS can really make or break the OS movement... I just don't want Ubuntu to go down the wrong path of competition with Windows and Apple, as those folks have been going in the wrong direction for years...

Thank you all!!!

Beans

Maybe I'm just a luddite after all...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mapBaker View Post
    its getting bigger
    - used to be able to fit this on a CD, now need a DVD, which is mostly a waste of space...
    - even though the OS gets faster, why is it getting bigger?
    I don't get it. What is so special about the CD, how about floppies? Why must the OSes install size be constrained by an obsolete medium? Not that I think the bigger the better, but being able to pull a complete desktop out of a 925 MB iso is quite reasonable. Unless you have a computer running off a 4G hard drive or something I can't see how this is a problem. Who still keeps a stack of CDs around for installing OS? This is 2013! Linux has been able to boot from usb longer than Ubuntu is around and most computers made in the last 10 years would support that (I feel like smacking people over the head when I hear advice to "burn a live CD" and followed by fine points of burning software and burning speed. )

The default install gets bigger because users have higher expectations for the out of the box experience, if you don't want that you can always go for a minimal install.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 21st, 2013 at 11:21 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mapBaker View Post
    ALL OF THE ABOVE is meant for constructive criticism with a smile and encouragement NOT complaining
    ...but it's not constructive.

Most of those issues have been discussed-to-death repeatedly.

For example, the install .iso grew beyond 700MB for several very good reasons. A constructive criticism would acknowledge those reasons, and suggest a way to satisfy those needs while staying within the 700MB constraint.

Another example, Ubuntu One didn't plan a single-sign-on service at the beginning. Canonical added the feature it in response to (loud) user demand. It is not constructive to falsely imply that Ubuntu users are somehow required to use it, as is failing to acknowlege that U1 is trivial to uninstall. It seems more like complaining and spreading FUD than anything constructive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast