Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why do I not switch to ubuntu?

Beans

why do I not switch to ubuntu?

Hello.
    My biggest problem for not switching to ubuntu completely is that, as a Persian translator(from english), I need to type in persian and support for it is missing in Libre Office the way it is in MS Office. I certainly CAN type in Persian, but as soon an I enter a "." or two, the formatting gets disrupted.
    This is the biggest problem in my book that needs to be fixed.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: why do I not switch to ubuntu?

So this is different in Libreoffice in Windows or Mac? Or does MS word work ok?

This might be something you can get some help with on the Libreoffice forums. Not really a Ubuntu issue I wouldn't have thought. Or is it?

http://en.libreofficeforum.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Office 10 also runs really nicely through Crossover on Ubuntu, so that's a thing. Nicely enough to forget that it's not a native app sometimes.
    ~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is a Persian version of Libreoffice.

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/....1.3&lang=pick

And the Ubuntu Software Centre has a Libreoffice productivity suite - Farsi language pack as well as various Farsi/Persian truetype fonts as well as dictionaries. In what way does the formatting get disrupted?

Besides which, we are allowed to use other operating systems as well as Ubuntu, if that is our choice or need.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

As mentioned above MS Office 10 can b used on Ubuntu. I have it installed via PlayOnLinux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why should you use Ubuntu? Because you like it. You say yourself that Persian support is missing from MS Office, so what are you using now? Also it's been pointed out already by grahammechanical that there is a Persian version of Libre Office plus the Ubuntu Software Centre has a Libreoffice productivity suite - Farsi language pack as well as various Farsi/Persian truetype fonts as well as dictionaries.

And try to remember: the applications that come with your installation are not the be-all and end-all. There are lots of word processing apps out there, and it would not surprise me if someone has already written a Persian-friendly word processor.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    You say yourself that Persian support is missing from MS Office, so what are you using now?
    no, he says it is working in MS office but not in LO.

I don't know much about Farsi to say how good LO support is in this respect and regaridng formatting. hwoever i do knwo that MS office (as others found out) works in Wine. well at least Word, Excel and Powerpoint work quite nicely.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to U,L and OS chat.

Beans

The one problem with running MS Office is that you cannot cut and paste from/to other apps. Super annoying.

Beans

I would avoid LO as much as possible it can be very annoying even in English try msoffice in play on linux works very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast