Thread: Migration to Thunderbird from evolution in UB13.10 - Help Required.

Beans

Migration to Thunderbird from evolution in UB13.10 - Help Required.

Hi All,
    This is my first post here, so please be gentle.
    I am a relative novice to linux, and have for many years been using the Outlook mail client on windows.
    I migrated by Outlook folders etc, to evolution and have been testing evolution (3.8.4) for about 6 months and have found that evolution may not meet my needs.
    I have installed Thuderbird (24.1.0) and want to give that a test to see if that better suits my needs.

My issues are this.
    I have Mail folders ( nested) on my local drive. It appears that these are no longer in the mbox format and are now in maildir format. I wish to transfer these folders over to Thuderbirds local folders.

I have looked and followed a few different methods below of doing this but none have worked for me.
    1. Copy folder to imap account. ( Evolution crashes on drag and drop, or is unable to find the folder in imap when using the copy to folder command)
    2. Using the maildir2mbox script. ( Script runs in terminal and I can see the emails being read, but there is not an output mbox file created. The prompt after it finishes the script auto fills with maildir2mbox 62;9;c)
    3. Using the python script md2mb.py ( Just creates and mbox file but with nothing in it.)

So any help and pointers here would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Paul.
    Last edited by pkane2; November 17th, 2013 at 07:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Migration to Thunderbird from evolution in UB13.10 - Help Required.

Hi there

If you select all emails in any folder then right-click, you will have the option to save as mbox.

The bad news is that you have to do this for each folder individually

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@plucky

I'm missing something. I checked the url and it doesn't mention Evolution....except in the url itself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hattpa View Post
    I checked the url and it doesn't mention Evolution....except in the url itself
    Point 4...

4 Switching from Evolution to Thunderbird

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Oops, sorry,. looks like I've an issue seeing that at work. It flashes up, but then collapses and I couldn't see the various points only those relating to Outlook

Have managed to get there by refreshing and then cancelling before it fully loads the page....

Only thing would be that Evolution no longer uses mbox it has to be manually saved as such.

Beans

Guys,
    Thanks for the responses, and apologies for not following up sooner.

I have read the article, and many like it, and have not found them to work, automatically.
    As I mentioned in the OP , various tools do not work for me to convert evolution nested mail folders and structure direct into to thunderbird.
    I would love know if anyone has successfully done this with the current versions of ubuntu,evolution, and thunderbird. Most of the information I have seen, and tried is with older versions of this software in mind.
    Hattpa
    I know that you can copy the mail contents of a folder to mbox then import that into thunderbird (TB), but you have to create the nested table structure into TB then import the individual mbox into that folder. Like you mentioned,with multi-level nested folders this would be both time consuming and very tedious. I was hoping to have this process automated.

plucky
    The link states,
    "Importing Evolution Messages

Thunderbird and Evolution use the same file format (called mbox) to store your mails, so its not difficult to import them manually. "

This statement is outdated as evolution does not use mbox anymore.

So the search for a solution goes on.

Beans

Would this work?
    Does anyone know, if I backed up evolution, then uninstall current version of evolution which uses maildir format. Then install an earlier version of evolution which is of mbox format. Will the earlier version of evolution be able to read the maildir format backup.
    If so would it then back able to be exported in mbox format as per the thunderbird support pages "import evolution messages" link suggests.
    Does anyone know which version of evolution supports mbox format.