Thread: Should I get 13.10?

Beans

Should I get 13.10?

I have 12.04 which I installed through Wubi two or three days ago. Is there any reason I should get 13.10? How would I do it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Should I get 13.10?

12.10 was the last release to include Wubi. If you plan on sticking with Wubi keep 12.04 because it is supported longer. You might consider tying a traditional dual boot in April when 14.04 is released. Like 12.04 ,14.04 is a long term support release. Unity has come a very long way since 12.04.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; November 19th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just play with wubi until it's around May. Then, if you still like Ubuntu, make backups of all your Ubuntu files, uninstall wubi and install a true dual boot with 14.04. In the meantime, get familiar with the system. This will make things easier when installing a true dual boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I also think it's a good idea to keep using 12.04 until the next LTS version is released. Unless there's something you really really need or want that isn't in 12.04. Horses for courses.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi I run both and like the newer version of grub used with 13.10 if you have the room on your hard drive you can to. a good place to dowload 13.10 is distrowatch.com
    if you only have one partision you can choose to install 13.10 alongside your existing 12.4 install.
    I use xubuntu dont care much for unity but that is a personal choice. the choices are numerous with ubuntu. have fun!
    Last edited by leeper69; November 19th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leeper69 View Post
    Hi I run both and like the newer version of grub used with 13.10 if you have the room on your hard drive you can to. a good place to dowload 13.10 is distrowatch.com
    How do I install 13.10 to have Windows 7, Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.10 triple booting

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi keys.snickers
    if you have three partisions on the hard drive you can pick do somthing else from the install menu then choose the partision that dosent already have window$ or ubuntu 12.4 installed on it and install 13.10.
    if you only have two partisions I would sugjest installing another hard drive and partishoning it with gparted so you can install any number of linux desktops you like on your machine. at one point I had 6 on mine.
    if your computer is a laptop i would sugjest having three seperate partisions to do a tripel boot this may involv removing 12.4 repartishoning your harddrive with gparted from the install disk then reinstalling 12.4 then installing 13.10.
    sorry I forgot about window$ you would need to use windows to repartision your drive with fdisk but be forwornd this may mean reinstalling window$ and if you dont have the real windows disk even this may not be possible due to
    the way some oem versions of window$ are set up.
    Last edited by leeper69; November 25th, 2013 at 05:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You wrote you installed Ubuntu 12.04 through wubi. This means you're not dual booting right now. It's more like one-and-a-half booting. Adding another Ubuntu on a different partition would make this into something like two-and-half booting, instead of triple booting. The advantage of wubi is (or was) that you don't have to go through the process of repartitioning your drive and restoring the windows boot loader in case you decide to uninstall Ubuntu. If you decide to install a second Ubuntu system you'll have to go through this stuff nonetheless – not really a problem, it's certainly doable – but it defies the whole purpose of wubi. You could better uninstall Wubi-Ubuntu 12.04, repartition your drive, install Ubuntu 12.04 as a dual boot and then add whatever you like to make it a triple boot.

Note: I single boot, just Xubuntu 12.04. It suits my needs.