Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gtk-CRITICAL fails, login loop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Gtk-CRITICAL fails

Even though I'm in root? Can you tell me exactly what command I should enter please? I am doing something wrong.

Beans
    Distro

I tried this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/41681...tricted-driver
    and this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1744248
    But nothing is working yet. I got this error:

ERROR: (dkms apport): binary packages for nvidia: 310.40 not found
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel 3.11.0-13-generic

Tried all this with Nvidia-current and nvidia-173, which is the only one that has worked for me before. When I tried installing fglrx, I got a message that the video mode could not be displayed at that resolution or something. At the moment, when I try to boot up normally I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

Beans
    Distro

I think maybe I found something. I've been searching the "cannot open display" error, and it looks like almost everyone who gets it refers to SSH. I don't know what SSH is. It sounds like a networking thing? I only have this one home computer, not networked, but maybe something in there is set up for networking and/or SSH and shouldn't be?

Beans
    Distro

The "unable to fetch" error I was getting disappeared with the last upgrade, so I was hopeful, but I still have no GUI. Have now read dozens and dozens of threads on this. I can't do anything in gedit because of the "unable to open display" error. Everyone recommended deleting .Xauthority but that did nothing. I've purged and reinstalled NVIDIA at least three times now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Sorry I've been away for a while, I hadn't noticed that the thread had started up again.

As for your problems, I'm a little clueless. Quite a few of the commands I posted should have done something (rather than give the errors they did), but they appear not to have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
    If there is a way to do that from the command line in recovery mode, I would.
    You can do this from the command-line, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you know exactly what you're doing. The easy way is to boot a live CD, mount your hard disk from there and copy your files onto external media or another partition, unmount the disk, then reinstall as normal.
    Last edited by MG&TL; December 8th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro

There have been two updates to the kernel since I started. The first one got rid of those "unable to fetch" errors but still no gui. Will try everything again today. I'm doing all this in root:

service lightdm restart gave me the low graphics mode message. Unable to do anything form there, had to shut off computer.

Did apt-get remove --purge on Nvidia-common, -current, -settings, -current-updates, -173, -173-updates. (The 173 stuff was not actually installed. Just checking.) Trying to remove nvidia* gave me an error message that there was no bug report???

Re-installing nvidia-common and -current now...

No go. Installs went fine. Updated and Rebooted after purging and again after reinstalling. Still got the "low graphics mode" which won't even run in low graphics mode.

Can you also post the contents of the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    I don't know how to open that. When I just type in the file name I get "permission denied."

dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current returned nothing.

nvidia-reconfig gave me a message that it had backed up the file. Is that what it should do?

"Fix broken packages" begins with two "cannot remove..." errors but they go by too fast to read.
    Last edited by Crossbow; December 15th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Nautilus returns:

(nautilus:2366): GtK-WARNING **: cannot open display

Which is also what I get when I try anything with gedit. I did reinstall gedit. Didn't help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There have been two updates to the kernel since I started. The first one got rid of those "unable to fetch" errors but still no gui. Will try everything again today. I'm doing all this in root:

service lightdm restart gave me the low graphics mode message. Unable to do anything form there, had to shut off computer.

Did apt-get remove --purge on Nvidia-common, -current, -settings, -current-updates, -173, -173-updates. (The 173 stuff was not actually installed. Just checking.) Trying to remove nvidia* gave me an error message that there was no bug report???

Re-installing nvidia-common and -current now...

No go. Installs went fine. Updated and Rebooted after purging and again after reinstalling. Still got the "low graphics mode" which won't even run in low graphics mode.

I don't know how to open that. When I just type in the file name I get "permission denied."

dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current returned nothing.

nvidia-reconfig gave me a message that it had backed up the file. Is that what it should do?

"Fix broken packages" begins with two "cannot remove..." errors but they go by too fast to read.
    What happens if you remove nvidia, then reboot? Theoretically the open-source drivers should come back into play, and you should get a usable system, while we figure out what's wrong with the drivers.

To view files from the command-line use:

Code:
    cat <filename>
    to get all the output at once, or

Code:
    less <filename>
    to get it 'paged' (i.e, you can scroll by pressing return).

And yup, if you try and run graphical apps without the display server working, they're going to fail with a message like that.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm. I removed nvidia, rebooted, got a login loop, which I guess is progress? Last time I had that, I fixed it by changing "normal" to "nomodeset" on the grub screen, but it was already at nomodeset. I found a thread where someone had solved the login loop by removing compiz, so I tried that and it enabled me to log in as guest, only I can't do anything there. I only have a blank desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmm. I removed nvidia, rebooted, got a login loop, which I guess is progress? Last time I had that, I fixed it by changing "normal" to "nomodeset" on the grub screen, but it was already at nomodeset. I found a thread where someone had solved the login loop by removing compiz, so I tried that and it enabled me to log in as guest, only I can't do anything there. I only have a blank desktop.
    Can you open a terminal on the desktop? If so, you should be able to launch applications to backup files and use sudo to run commands as required.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast