Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gtk-CRITICAL fails, login loop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Gtk-CRITICAL fails, login loop

What is Gtk and how do you fix it?

Yesterday my browser suddenly stopped allowing input. (I was trying to update my credit card information on a website I use a lot.) That was the only sign of trouble. I rebooted and got a black screen with a blinking cursor. Unistalled, purged, and reinstalled Nvidia, reinstalled lightdm, reinstalled xserver-xorg, did updates between everything, ran repair broken packages, etc. Unable to reconfigure Nvidia. Unable to customize grub. Nothing has worked. Now I've got it where it tries to boot in low graphics mode but it actually won't even do that. I've browsing the forums all day looking for an answer but there are too many variables with "blank screen." One user said it could be due to the system not detecting the keyboard but not how to fix it.

Boot-repair, which had no errors the first time I ran it, is now giving me a string of fails beginning with "Gtk-CRITICAL."

I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 on a Dell 530.
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz
    Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS
    I tried this with Nvidia-common and -173, which is the last one that worked for me.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Crossbow; December 21st, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Gtk-CRITICAL fails

I have no idea why your graphics aren't working, but repairing the boot sector won't help.

However, in layman's terms, GTK+ is a tool GNOME application programmers use to make windows and buttons and things. Can you post the exact errors you get?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    I have no idea why your graphics aren't working, but repairing the boot sector won't help.

However, in layman's terms, GTK+ is a tool GNOME application programmers use to make windows and buttons and things. Can you post the exact errors you get?
    Hi - Thank you for replying!

The error I get updating is:

failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu/dist/saucy/main/binaru-i386/Packages 404 not found.

And here are the errors I get with boot-repair:

So I guess this gtk stuff is in this repository that I can't connect to?

Beans
    Distro

I found this old thread with the same question but I don't understand the answer. I guess I have to remove that "swat" one, but what do I need to enter instead?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/36056...n-ubuntu-13-10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

First of all, remove the x-swat PPA, then update, unless you have to reason to believe things will be broken otherwise. I can't think that's helping matters (from the X-swat page):

If you are upgrading from one release to another with this PPA activated, please install the ppa-purge package and use it to downgrade everything in here beforehand. sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates will do it.
    From the screenshot you've posted, I think I understand what's happening now: GTK+ is a red herring. Graphical applications require the display server (currently X.org) to be started, which in turn requires the graphics card drivers to be working. If the display server is not started, various parts of the GTK+ stack fail (noisily) and give you the errors you're seeing. Can you also post the contents of the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log and the results of the command

Code:
    sudo service lightdm restart
    please? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    Returned that same 404 message and gave me a warning that "apt-get update failed for some reason."

Code:
    service lightdm restart
    returned thisr:

Code:
    usage: /etc/init.d/lightdm {start|stop|restart|force-reload}
    I tried restarting then, and it still says it's starting in low graphics mode but then won't even really do that.

Can you also post the contents of the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    I am not sure how to do that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Code:
    ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    Returned that same 404 message and gave me a warning that "apt-get update failed for some reason."
    Ah right. I hoped ppa-purge did something smarter than that, but I guess not. In that case, I think you need to remove the source manually: look for and delete any entries relating to x-swat in /etc/apt/sources.list and delete any x-swat related files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/, then run

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    again.

Code:
    service lightdm restart
    returned this:

Code:
    usage: /etc/init.d/lightdm {start|stop|restart|force-reload}
    I tried restarting then, and it still says it's starting in low graphics mode but then won't even really do that.
    Ah.

I am not sure how to do that.
    Well, since you cannot access a graphical browser from your desktop, copy the file onto whichever machine you're posting from. If you don't know how to do that from the command-line, the easiest way is probably to boot a live CD and drag-drop files onto a USB.

As a side-note, how much time are you willing to spend fixing this? Fixing problems of this nature is often time-consuming, but educational. If you need the machine for work or something (or you're just fed up), the easy solution would be to back up your files and reinstall (or possibly upgrade).

Beans
    Distro

As a side-note, how much time are you willing to spend fixing this? Fixing problems of this nature is often time-consuming, but educational. If you need the machine for work or something (or you're just fed up), the easy solution would be to back up your files and reinstall (or possibly upgrade).
    If there is a way to do that from the command line in recovery mode, I would.

I'm sure the x-swat is not the problem as I only added it in after the problem started. It had worked for someone else. I don't know why.

Edit: I was just reading this: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/09/how-t...untu-1310.html

I don't really understand it but maybe this is my problem.
    Last edited by Crossbow; December 1st, 2013 at 03:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Can you also post the contents of the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log and the results of the command
    I got "permission denied."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
    I got "permission denied."
    Try it with sudo?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net