Thread: Update manager broken

Beans

Question Update manager broken

Hi.... I have been an Ubuntu user for about 5 years now, and love the flavour of distro. The community are excellent also. I have a problem. I recently had to reinstall my firefox, as it became broken for some reason. I looked to add sopcast to the apps that work through firefox, and linked a source to my repository list, that has consequently caused a fatal error. I cannot seem to access the repository list to remove the source, either through update manager, synaptic, or the software centre... all of which crash before being able to enter the repository list to fix the problem. This is the message I receive:

Could not initialize the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Type 'ain' is not known on line 3 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ferramroberto-sopcast-precise.list'

Could someone help with fixing this please.... as I would like to access the repository list to remove the offending source, and then update my distro. I'm using the LTS 12.04 at present on a toshiba laptop... and i have to say it works perfectly for my needs. just need to iron out this problem and am a little stuck for ideas. many Thanks.
    Last edited by writersandscriptwr; December 28th, 2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Update manager broken

From the terminal you can remove the offending source before attempting to update:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ferramroberto-sopcast-precise.list
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED], which lets us find solutions faster!

Beans

that was perfect PTN!... thank you very much!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In order to mark the thread as solved (to help others), please follow the steps provided in this link:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Thanks