Thread: Compiling a program from source code for Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Compiling a program from source code for Windows

I have a very limited knowledge of programming with only a small amount of Visual Basic and Matlab/Maple experience. I am an engineer and I need to use the modelling package SWMM (Storm Water Management Model). Currently this is only available for Windows but the source code is also available on the US EPA website (http://www.epa.gov/ednnrmrl/models/s....htm#Downloads).
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to compile this program to run on Linux from this source code? I have the program working on wine but it is not entirely successful.

Any information will be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Compiling a program from source code for Windows

The windows source will most likely not work under Linux unless it's written in a cross-platform language, but I doubt that it is since it's only published for Windows. You could try running the Windows binary version of it under Wine. Wine frequently runs Windows programs just the way they should work, especially if they don't do anything special like interact with external hardware.
    Upgrade to 7.10 today!
    Automatix: Automated, graphical installer for almost everything you need. Samba share problems? Fix them! Need to delete unwanted wireless networks? Check this out!

Beans

I took a look at the download link, and the readme file for the computational engine mentions makefiles for GCC on GNU/Linux, so if you only need the engine, that should be fine.

The the GUI part is written in Delphi, so that's Windows only.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by toojays View Post
    The the GUI part is written in Delphi, so that's Windows only.
    There's always Kylix for that, or perhaps Free Pascal (maybe with winelib?).