Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu versus Xubuntu

Beans

Ubuntu versus Xubuntu

I would like to know what advantages and disadvantages Xubuntu has compared to Ubuntu. I understand it may be quicker (Is this true? I have 8 GB ram). The Xfce desktop is also more customizable than Unity. Any other advantages I should know about? Disadvantages?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu versus Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ak-accts View Post
    I would like to know what advantages and disadvantages Xubuntu has compared to Ubuntu. I understand it may be quicker (Is this true? I have 8 GB ram). The Xfce desktop is also more customizable than Unity. Any other advantages I should know about? Disadvantages?
    xfce is going to be faster on older hardware, but on modern hardware with a good amount of ram I don't notice any speed difference. what is your idea of being able to be more custom? Are we talking about default settings? Yes xfce in the default settings has tools to change many of your themes and better then Unity, but if we are talking about doing some real custom work like things default tools could not help with when i come to applying some serious tweaks I would say they are just about on par.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you're low on ram (which you're not) or have slow graphics Xubuntu will be quicker. The Xubuntu desktop is easier to customise (I think most people agree on that) and the look is completely different. Whether that last point is an advantage or not is a matter of personal opinion.

Beans

I am talking about customizing basic appearance and function, nothing fancy. I like Unity, but it needs tweaking. For example, I would like a more subdued (in style and or color) icon set. if I change icon sets in Unity, I find several sets that are nearly identical, and many sets that are incomplete so that I am left with blank icons on the launcher. It surprises me, because I would think that a system trying to gain more market share with the two major parties would cover the basics.

Beans

The launcher can be replicated in Xfce, can it not? Side position, icons-no-text.

I also like the dash in Unity. Is there a readily available search for applications, media and documents? I am not tied to the mouse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use both, Ubuntu (12.04 and Xubuntu 12.04), and find both are useful. Unity gives me a more complete feeling, Xubuntu has to me a lesser desktop. Very personal. Then: if you want Firefox, and LibreOffice, you can install these in Xubuntu too, but loose the minimality of this. Unity can be tweaked, but then you have to read:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuTweak

if you want to. Which I don't.

Hope this helps

Topsiho

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Burn a CD and try Xubuntu. Install xfce4>logout>choose 'xfce session' from the Sessions menu>login. Try it out. In fact, try out a heap of other desktop envirnments, lxde for an example.

It is all down to what suits you best, horses for courses and all that. Also, it is not about one distro vs another, it is about which desktop environment do you prefer. You can run whatever DE in whatever flavour.

I use a minimal install with xfce4 DE and a few apps. I have an empty desktop, no icons and everything is shortcut keys. Does everyone want that? No. But it suits me perfectly. I have 4Gb of RAM and could run whatever DE I like. I like mine.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 11th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Xubuntu for me strikes that perfect balance between speed, simplicity, and usability. My desktop looks great, and runs fast!

I don't really like Ubuntu/Unity. My major issue Ubuntu/Unity is the integrated Amazon crap. Sure, you can probably remove it, but I don't even want to have to deal with it. Unity is fine I suppose, but find Xfce more usable for how I work.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    Xubuntu for me strikes that perfect balance between speed, simplicity, and usability. My desktop looks great, and runs fast!

I don't really like Ubuntu/Unity. My major issue Ubuntu/Unity is the integrated Amazon crap. Sure, you can probably remove it, but I don't even want to have to deal with it. Unity is fine I suppose, but find Xfce more usable for how I work.
    Only takes 5 seconds to remove the online searches in the dash...you just turn a button off in the privacy settings...so not really a major issue unless you just don't like unity for other reasons...
    I find it very nice to use myself, but then i don't mind docks, which is what unity launcher is...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I understand you can turn it off, but it shouldn't be there in the first place. As I said, I don't even want to deal with it. There are many other distros and DEs that don't do that kind of **** to choose from.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast