Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moved from U+1

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Moved from U+1

Geforce 6 & 7 is really OLD. You guys really need something NEWER! Just my 2 cents.
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
    Dell Inspiron 400 HD Desktop with a 120 GB Crucial SSD and Lubuntu 14.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved from U+1

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan8152 View Post
    Geforce 6 & 7 is really OLD. You guys really need something NEWER! Just my 2 cents.
    Heh! I like oldies_but_goodies...

You should get a load of my Klipschorns. They were built in 1961 (no kidding).

Nothing better IMO!

On topic, if you know of a better AGP card, let me know. nVidia seems to work the best.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Re: nVidia 304.116 (legacy driver for GeForce 6 and 7 series)

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    On topic, if you know of a better AGP card, let me know. nVidia seems to work the best.
    I probably have a 7800 Gs stashed somewhere that you can have though maybe your 7600 Gt is better as it has more ram

(- the only thing I remember for sure was they (76/7800) were bloody expensive back in the day when they came out...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I probably have a 7800 Gs stashed somewhere that you can have though maybe your 7600 Gt is better as it has more ram

(- the only thing I remember for sure was they (76/7800) were bloody expensive back in the day when they came out...
    Thanks, but my 7600GT is still working great. Just takes a while to find drivers that have been patched for the latest kernel.

And, yes, they were quite expensive, at the time. I paid over $200, on sale.

I puked a fan last year, and couldn't find a suitable OEM replacement, sooooo...

As is my nature, I over-engineered a solution -- I went with a pipe-cooler and 80mm case fan. LoL!

Dissipates the Arizona heat nicely. I figure it's good for a few more years...

Beans
    Distro

Nothing better IMO!

Unfortanantly all i have on my Dell Laptop is Intel 4000 Series Integrated Graphics!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nothing better IMO!
    OMG! I saw a pair of these at a hifi show back in the early 70s. The show was held on a stinking hot day in a brand new hotel (all concrete and no airconditioning) and I kid you not, the tech was powering them with what looked like a small tansistor radio that was playing Emmerson, Lake and Palmer's "Tank".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    At the end of his drum solo at 4:05 after Palmer's fast snare drum action is phased and panned quickly to the left and right can be heard four very low-pitched drumbeats. This sound is special due to the extremely low frequencies of it.
    I swear, concrete was peeling from the walls and 2 girls feinted from over-pressure in their stomach.

/digression to memories

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nothing better IMO!

For KH (what is Ser.# or model#) I'll just say: old stuff was far better... Back then, and it is still today... Couple of years of difference and they would be as old as I am... I've listened to these on several occasions, and I was young then... I'm ESL guy...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PJs Ronin View Post
    OMG! I saw a pair of these at a hifi show back in the early 70s [...] the tech was powering them with what looked like a small transistor radio that was playing Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "Tank".

I swear, concrete was peeling from the walls and 2 girls feinted from over-pressure in their stomach.
    True!

I've powered these things with a variety of amps, over the years -- won't list them here, due to the nature of this thread.

Suffice to say, I'm currently feeding them with a superb-sounding Harman/Kardon AVS 125 receiver (main: 45 watts x2).

I've never turned the volume past -20 db -- it's impossible -- it'll damage you and the building. No kidding.

This setup WILL make you physically ill after a few minutes at -30 db -- shakes the house, rattles the dishes, and jiggles your guts, in a very unhealthy manner! My Klipschorns are dressed in "Theater Black" -- similar to the current "Ash Black" but less grainy. They were designed for stage sound reinforcement -- concert halls, et cetera. Turn them down, and it's pure bliss.

Back on topic: I *feel* the same way about my rig (see below). I'm sticking with my 'legacy' setup, until it blows up.

It's the functional equivalent of a '55 Chevy with a 454. It just requires some patience, waiting for nVidia to release new drivers -- that's all...
    Last edited by VinDSL; November 16th, 2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Clarification

Beans
    Distro

Very impressive VINDSL, unfortanantly the money that you spend on PC's, is something I just plain don't have, because I spend all of my spare money buying the latest Cell Phones (I have both an IPhone 5S and a Samsung Galaxy S4) just to give you an idea of how I go bonkers for the latest Cell Phones and Tablets (I plan to buy a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 soon as well), sorry for getting Off Topic Moderators.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

True!

I've powered these things with a variety of amps, over the years -- won't list them here, due to the nature of this thread.

Suffice to say, I'm currently feeding them with a superb-sounding Harman/Kardon AVS 125 receiver (main: 45 watts x2).

I've never turned the volume past -20 db -- it's impossible -- it'll damage you and the building. No kidding.

This setup WILL make you physically ill after a few minutes at -30 db -- shakes the house, rattles the dishes, and jiggles your guts, in a very unhealthy manner! My Klipschorns are dressed in "Theater Black" -- similar to the current "Ash Black" but less grainy. They were designed for stage sound reinforcement -- concert halls, et cetera. Turn them down, and it's pure bliss.

Back on topic: I *feel* the same way about my rig (see below). I'm sticking with my 'legacy' setup, until it blows up.

It's the functional equivalent of a '55 Chevy with a 454. It just requires some patience, waiting for nVidia to release new drivers -- that's all...
    Do try these speakers with some proper SE A-class amp or tube SE (not PP) amp. You'll be pleasantly surprised, I'm sure.
    Even a less than a dozen watts will prove enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast